Under the direction of the Operations Director, and in the accordance with the policies of the YMCA of Greater Boston, this position develops, organizes and implements the following YMCA programs: child watch, birthday parties, member engagement activities, sports, family events & community outreach. Additional responsibilities include supervision of the Teen Program Leader, other hourly support staff, and Youth Sports Staff, while providing direct leadership to these programs as assigned. Ensure all programming supports the Y’s three main focus areas; Youth Development, Healthy Living, and Social Responsibility.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree in related field or equivalent.
- One to two years related experiencepreferred; for example, as an enrichment coordinator or supervisor.
- Typical requirements within 30 days of hire include: Completion of Child Abuse Prevention for Supervisory Staff; Working with Program Volunteers; CPR; First Aid; AED; Bloodborne Pathogens.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES/KNOW HOW:
- Ability to evaluate and review effectiveness of existing programming. Create pipeline for new and exciting youth and family programs.
- Ability to foresee staffing needs and recruit, plan and schedule staff accordingly.
- Excellent public relations and conflict resolution skills in order to facilitate positive relationships with parents, staff, children, and outside agencies.
- Have a concern for detail and accuracy and have the ability to delegate responsibility.
- Directs and supervises program activities to meet YMCA objectives. Establishes new program activities and expands programs within the community in accordance with strategic and operating plans. Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with community organizations.
- Recruits, hires, trains, develops, schedules and directs personnel and volunteers for each program area. Reviews and evaluates staff performance. Develops strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals. Ensures records of staff certifications are current and complete.
- Works with Operations Director to ensure proper maintenance of the facility.
- Ensures the development of a child watch program schedule seasonally with monthly themes reflecting age-appropriate activities for children.
- Markets and distributes program information to YMCA members and the community.
- Develops, coordinates and implements family and youth community events within the YMCA facility. Schedules monthly family events.
- Develops and monitors program budget to meet fiscal objectives.
- Assists in YMCA fund raising activities and special events.
- This position is a member of our management team which meets monthly.
- Responds to all member and community inquiries and requests in a timely manner.
- Ensure that programs meet expectations for related grant and funding requirements by providing the necessary information and statistics for reports.
- Plan, develop, implement and evaluate all YMCA Teen and sports programs which should include, but are not limited to: Y Achievers, safety and social networking, educational support, leadership programming and professional development.
- Market all Teen and Sports Programs to the schools, community agencies and other youth serving organizations.
- Serve as a liaison in partnership with the Branch Executive to local Law Enforcement Officials and conduct regular meetings with Law Enforcement Officials regarding teen programs.
- Establish and maintain relationships with local middle and high schools in the service area to help recruit teens and sports participants, provide collaboration and meet the needs of each individual community.
- Work as part of the management team of YMCA to coordinate service delivery and ensure a youth/teen “friendly and safe” environment is present always.
- Employ, supervise, schedule and evaluate all Teen and Sports staff as assigned.
- Provide training and leadership to all Teen and Sports staff in procedures, policies, philosophies and character development of the YMCA.
- Serve on one community based committee to ensure the YMCA is viewed as a leader serving teens.
- Assists with program committee meetings where appropriate.
- Compiles program statistics. Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of and participation in program.
- Assumes a fair share of responsibilities of the administration of the branch, including nights and weekends. Weekend involvement and supervision is a must.