Function/Duties of Position
Under the direction of the Vice President of Risk Management or his/her designee, this position is responsible for processing and adjusting claims and litigation related to hospital professional liability (HPL) and other lines of coverage as appropriate. In addition, under the direction of the Vice President of Risk Management or his/her designee, this position is responsible for providing loss prevention education and training, risk mitigation advice, investigation and analysis of the frequency, severity and causes of adverse events, quality assurance measures to prevent the recurrence of adverse events, and recommendations for peer review. These responsibilities are to be performed with the objectives of minimizing losses to the assets of the entire OHSU system from patient-safety related events, of analyzing adverse events to identify patient safety improvement strategies and of consulting on the design of new quality assurance elements and systems.
- JD degree
- Oregon Bar
- 3 to 5 years of professional experience in professional liability or claim management of medical malpractice litigation. Preferably with a combination of experience related to claims management and work in the healthcare field.
- Proficient in using Microsoft Office products and database tools.
- Ability to work as part of a team, in collaboration with team members.
- Investigation skills to evaluate and appropriately resolve claims.
- Familiarity with medical and insurance terminology.
- Correct language usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
- Ability to exercise good judgement, tact and sensitivity.
- Review and address large number of claim documents and forms under time constraints.
- Demonstrate organizational and analytical skills.
- Compile and prepare reports and correspondence.
- Operate standard office equipment including computers and related software applications.
- Plan and organize work, meet schedules and timelines, maintain records; Read, interpret, apply and explain rules, policies, procedures and regulations.
- Ability to resolve internal and external customer complaints and concerns.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- BA/BS or MS in Nursing
- RN, CPHRM, ARM, Washington Bar