The Professional Development & Diversity Manager works closely with the Director of Diversity and Inclusion, attorneys and staff to execute the firm-wide Diversity and Inclusion strategy which includes the recruitment, retention, development and advancement of women and diverse attorneys and staff in the firm. The Manager develops and implements substantive legal training and other professional development programs, both locally and firm-wide. Works closely with the training and development and legal personnel teams to ensure the continued professional development of the firm’s attorneys. The Manager will leverage extensive knowledge and experience in diversity and inclusion management to develop and implement innovative initiatives that underscore the firm’s commitment to creating an inclusive workplace. The Manager will also work proactively with attorneys and staff supporting diversity and inclusion efforts across all firm offices.
Leads the development of responses through professionalism and quality service to internal firm stakeholders as well as external stakeholders such as clients, members of the media, and other strategic partners.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*
- Works with the Director of Diversity and Inclusion, to execute the firm’s diversity and inclusion strategy including support for the firm’s Diversity Committees and Women’s Leadership Initiative. Works with Professional Development and Training Managers and other members of the Legal Personnel team to support and address training needs, develop curricula, and implement programs to maximize effectiveness and quality.
- Keeps abreast of trends and innovations related to diversity and inclusion in the legal profession and other professional services organizations to assess the effectiveness of on-going efforts and identify and develop new initiatives, approaches, and programs related to recruitment, retention, development and advancement of women and diverse lawyers.
- Employs strong data analytics skills to assess a range of diversity and inclusion metrics and presents data in an effective manner for senior leaders.
- Provides direction and guidance to Recruiting, Professional Development, Training, and Practice Management teams, Human Resources, and other staff throughout the firm to incorporate diversity and inclusion into all functional areas.
- Organizes and implements all diversity and inclusion training programs.
- Works with internal presenters to deliver effective training, including training for summer associates, first year attorneys and firm wide orientations and retreats.
- Supports internal and external requests, including clients and media, for demographic information, surveys, strategy and results, and other communication requests related to diversity and inclusion.
- Manages relationships with strategic partners such as diverse bar associations and other community and professional organizations, suggest new organizations for partnership.
- Cultivates and fosters relationships with women and diverse attorneys in the firm.
- Recommends new approaches and procedures to improve efficiency of department.
- Leads annual budgeting process for Diversity and Inclusion efforts.
- Serves as back-up to the Director, Diversity and Inclusion, as necessary.
- Assumes additional responsibilities as assigned.
- Extensive knowledge of and ability to apply best practices in diversity and inclusion management, strategies, and programs.
- Strong project management skills to drive projects to completion.
- Knowledge of laws related to equal employment opportunity.
- Knowledge of various human capital areas such as recruiting, training/development, performance management, and succession planning.
- Ability to rely on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Excellent management and interpersonal skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong problem solving capabilities, analytical skills, organization skills and deadline sensitivity.
- Strong teamwork and relationship building skills with a collaborative approach to working with others at all levels of seniority.
- Detail oriented and high attention to quality.
- Ability to multi-task, while working well under pressure.
- Bachelor’s Degree required and JD or other Masters preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in active legal practice or diversity and inclusion management required.
- Knowledge of law firms and practice of law preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability