Manage an assigned underwriting territory to achieve profitable growth, including underwriting new business, renewals, endorsements and other transactions. Identify new business opportunities and manage agency relationships.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop relationships and educate agents within agency plant to maximize opportunities and achieve profitable growth.
- Initiate outbound calls to agencies to identify sales opportunities and collect agent intelligence.
- Achieve new business premium, renewal premium retention and rate change objectives.
- Within company guidelines and granted underwriting authority, evaluate new and renewal account information to determine risk acceptability, terms / conditions to be quoted, and pricing.
- Make sound risk and pricing decisions that achieve profitable loss ratios.
- Maintain underwriting quality score of 90% or greater. Document underwriting file to support acceptability and pricing in accordance with company guidelines.
- Achieve customer service standards, including established objectives for:
- New business quote turnaround
- Renewal quotes
- Endorsement, cancellation, audits and other transactions
- Policy issuance
- Provide detailed issuance instructions to ensure policy is delivered consistent with quoted terms and conditions and in accordance with established guidelines relative to policy construction.
- Review mid-term endorsement requests for acceptability and provide instructions for processing.
- Evaluate premium audit referrals to determine class acceptability and/or appropriateness of current exposure base. Adjust current term with acceptable changes to ensure company gets timely payment of adequate premium.
- Order and review inspections to confirm accounts written are consistent with preliminary underwriting information and takes action when the inspection reveals unacceptable risk characteristics.
- Assist with training, mentoring and coaching of less experienced team members.
- Determine if facultative reinsurance is needed and if so, factor reinsurance cost in gross pricing, complete cession procedures; documentation file, and follow established workflow procedure to ensure proper reporting / accounting.
- Utilize various underwriting tools to:
- Determine acceptable risk characteristics
- Determine accurate exposure classifications
- Set adequate property limits to accomplish appropriate insurance to value
- Rate and quote business to agents
- Support other underwriters as assigned when the other underwriter is traveling or out on vacation / sick time.
- Demonstrated success in commercial lines property casualty insurance businesses.
- Past experience working with independent agents is preferred. Surplus lines underwriting experience is highly preferred.
- Basic knowledge of computer programs in a Windows environment, including Word, Excel and E-mail is required.
- Prior experience working in a paperless environment, including familiarity with on-line underwriting tools is preferred (e.g. SAGE, Silver Plume, and Reference Connect).
- Bachelor's degree and six plus years related insurance experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Advanced professional insurance coursework (i.e., CPCU, ASLI, and AU) or completion of other-insurance related classes is preferred.