Responsible for leading the overall production operation for the shift assigned. Responsible for the execution of the areas, facility processes, equipment, and procedures by insuring the effective management of supervision and the hourly employees engaged in the production process and focusing on safety, people, production, quality, cost and delivery standards. Responsible for analyzing misses to plan and working with Production Manager, other Shift and Maintenance Superintendents, and Continuous Improvement staff to develop strategies for improvement.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads the work of supervisors and hourly production employees to insure that working procedures are followed in a manner that provides safe operation while maximizing quality and productivity. Insures that daily production schedules are met, and if not, captures the reasons for missing the daily plan. Manages the process with Leader Standard Work (LSW) and quickly restores flow when necessary. Uses root cause analysis to determine action items to prevent reoccurrence of issues that cause gaps to standards. Takes initiative to analyze performance trends to increase productivity. Facilitates improvement efforts with help of Continuous Improvement staff.
- Insures that work is conducted safely, that safety rules are adhered to, and that work areas are maintained in a safe and orderly fashion. Conducts regular area safety inspections and 5S audits. Able to conduct training on safety and regulatory topics. Investigates incidents fully and documents in the accident investigation system in a timely manner. Insures that any corrective actions that arise from accident investigations are implemented in a timely manner. Communicates frequently with crew members to maintain awareness regarding unsafe conditions and behaviors.
- Maintains open communication with supervisors and assigned crew on a daily basis to address any safety, quality, production, maintenance, housekeeping or personnel issues. Communicates monthly KPI performance along with developing work area KPI’s as necessary and understand sources for driving performance and work on improvements when results are not meeting targets.
- Insures that production equipment is set up properly, and is maintained in good operating condition. Insures that all material and equipment required to perform daily work is available. Analyzes material consumption against plan and develops actions to optimize. Utilizes Leader Standard Work to standardize daily work schedule. Able to formally mentor and train other supervisors and hourly employees.
- Maintains direct contact with maintenance supervisors to communicate equipment conditions and to provide assistance in developing a priority for maintenance activities. Analyzes equipment downtime and works directly with maintenance staff to develop preventive maintenance and TPM activities to improve uptime. Communicates trends on a weekly and monthly basis.
- Develops and executes a documented plan to make sure assigned supervisors and hourly employees are properly trained and qualified to perform their assigned position within their job classification. Analyzes crewing needs based on productivity against plan and labor costs against plan. Also works with area manager to develop and implement a personal/professional development plan.
- Analyzes performance trends and provides input to prioritize efforts of Production Manager and Continuous Improvement personnel to identify, document, communicate, and implement process improvements. Takes ownership of assigned shift and leads in developing partnerships with support areas to achieve desired results.
- Has thorough understanding on how all processes work. Maintains contact with upstream and downstream departments and communicates non-conforming issues. Communicates trends on a monthly basis.
- Receives, evaluates and responds to first-step grievances as required, consulting with the Production Manager as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- 5 Years as a proven leader or supervisory experience is required.
- Must be able to quickly learn and demonstrate proficient process knowledge in assigned area.
- Good ability to plan and direct the work of hourly personnel and to train and develop new supervisors.
- Good analytical and problem solving skills. Must be able to lead 5-Why activities.
- Must be able to capture data in excel, create graphs, analyze and interpret trends.
- Good public speaking skills. Must be able to create and communicate a power point presentation.
- Good ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks/projects and meeting all requireddeadlines.
- Must be able to facilitate 5S and Kaizen events.
- Must be able to audit to ISO 9002 quality system.
- Strong sense of urgency in meeting customer needs.
- Good understanding of safety processes and demonstrates a passion for following all established procedures is required.
- Must be proficient in the utilization of Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint software.
- Must be able to create and sustain Leader Standard Work procedures.
- Good understanding of Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE)
- Possesses technical knowledge to understand the operations of the area equipment and set up preventative maintenance procedures with the Maintenance Department’s assistance.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of previous supervisory or management experience in a heavy union or non-union fast paced manufacturing and/or construction environment is required.
- Bachelor's or Technical Degree in Engineering such as Industrial, Electrical, Mechanical, and Manufacturing and/or related field is desired.
- Previous ductile iron products experience with a good understanding of production operations or similar manufacturing operation is a plus.
- Lean Manufacturing and/or Six Sigmaexperience is a plus.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
- The employee will be working in an office environment and will spend extensive time in the plant exposing the employee to Foundry operations. The employee will be exposed to the following working conditions: Extreme Heat and Cold, Noise, Vibration, Oils, and Atmospheric Conditions such as Dust. Fumes, and Metallic Particles.
- When in the production area, the employee will be required to wear PPE (to include safety glasses, hearing protection where required, and steel toed shoes).
- The employee will be required to perform the following actions (from time to time): Standing, walking, balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, talking, seeing, hearing and sitting.