Health, Safety & Environmental
• Leverage the Aleris Safety System and Safety Principles to create a zero injury culture.
• Implement and support processes that reveal safety hazards, and develop sustainable corrective actions.
• Ensure daily safety crew briefings are held by the supervisors on each shift.
• Ensure that company policies and procedures are being executed by his/her team in order to ensure compliance with all health, safety and environmental regulations.
• Ensure the team is being retrained on the relevant safety procedures in accordance with the HSE Department’s schedule.
• Investigate and document safety related incidents in the assigned area, and report out on incidents.
• Ensure that the daily production goals for throughput, quality, target date and cost are being achieved by his or her team.
• Ensure that a safe job execution has priority over a quick job execution.
• Lead capacity planning and resource allocation for short and medium term production demands.
• Ensure the availability of materials needed to complete production requirements.
• Conduct and participates in Safety and Production Meetings.
• Ensures that quality requirements, sample taking, documentation and record keeping are being executed by his/her team.
• Ensure deviations from the standard process are effectively communicated to the relevant people/functions.
• Schedule layered process audits (LPAs) to improve quality, reduce scrap and rework and reduced internal and external customer rejections.
• Ensure communication across shifts and with maintenance and engineering occurs regarding production concerns, overtime, manning, status of work assignments or any other item that may impact production.
• Working with department manager, develop yearly operations plan for the assigned area.
• Engage with his/her team to develop and implement standard work.
• Engage his/her team to drive a continuous improvement culture by utilizing AOS to eliminate waste, overburden and variability in manufacturing processes.
• Lead and/or actively participates in productivity, safety and quality improvement projects.
• Develop solutions for process improvement, cost reduction and yield improvement.
Management and Leadership
• Provide effective leadership to inspire employees to perform at high levels.
• Sets and communicates clear performance standards and holds direct reports accountable for results.
• Conducts performance appraisals and maintains performance metrics to monitor direct reports’ results; identify and initiate improvements for development and/or training.
• Provides on-going coaching, feedback and development to increase direct reports’ performance and production.
• Communicates effectively with direct reports and resolves conflicts within and between individual team members.
• Ensure supervisors are held accountable for tracking employee attendance and entering data in the timekeeping system.
• Lead by example and ensures direct reports maintain a climate of consistency, trust and employee involvement by adhering to all applicable rules in the Labor Agreement.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 5 years of experience in an industrial environment required or any equivalent combination of experience and education that provides the required knowledge and skills.
• At least 5+ years related work experience with leadership responsibility.
• Has the ability to understand the manufacturing process and technical knowledge to ensure product quality and flow.
• Has the ability to understand how activities impact cash conversion, EBITDA and other key financial metrics.
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety policies and procedures, HR policies, standard work documents, maintenance instructions, procedure manuals, charts etc.
• Excellent planning, organizing and time management skills.
• Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
• Has the ability to problem solving, analyze and apply continuous improvement methodology to work processes.
- Experience in a union environment preferred.
- Experience in the aluminum industry and with the cold mill/ finishing process is preferred.