Grundfos Indianapolis (PPU) is a ~$110 division of Grundfos and is manufacturer of centrifugal pumps branded under the Peerless Pumps brand, this facility employs approximately 260 people. Grundfos is a $4B global pump manufacturer headquartered in Denmark which employees approximately 18,500 employees worldwide. Grundfos operates locations in 56 countries around the world. The primary markets served by the products produced in Indianapolis include Fire, Industrial, and Water Utility business segments. The Peerless Pump brand has been in existence since 1923 and has a long history, a strong market presence, and reputation of superior product quality. This facility builds pumps using a combination of purchased and internally machined component parts. Core competencies for this facility include milling, boring, turning, assembly, hydraulic testing, painting and packaging.
The Production Manager is responsible for organizing and carrying out the assembly, testing, mounting, and painting of the pump products produced by the Indianapolis facility. Responsibilities of this position include the inception, development and successful implementation of programs to improve safety, quality, delivery, cost reduction, and employee development. This position is a key driver for continuous improvement implementing Lean Manufacturing concepts throughout our manufacturing operations. Successful candidates for this position will have a history of working collaboratively across various functions to develop policies and procedures to effectively drive the business. This position requires a high level of leadership and accompanying skills.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create a safe working environment by developing a safety culture amongst the team where everyone places the highest priority on safety and is actively watching out for their fellow employees.
- Ensure product quality by developing consistent processes & work instructions, training employees, and auditing to verify compliance.
- Playing a full and active part in the Operations leadership team, helping to implement the operations strategy that will meet the requirements of stakeholders and drive the operation forward.
- Responsible for defining required resource levels and for creating a flexible cross-trained production team for efficient use of employees and equipment.
- Provides leadership and direction for the daily production planning, management and review. Integrates organizational changes and new processes.
- Collaborating with supervisory staff, controls day to day operations to ensure delivery of customer service levels for all assembly, testing, and packaging operations for the site.
- Lead Production team comprised of (~30 employees) over two production shifts.
- Accountable for annual Performance & Development Dialog (PDD) process for Production team.
- Develop plans to ensure all measures necessary are taken to deliver key results on a monthly basis, and locating the necessary resources to deliver all objectives on an annual basis.
- Critically analyzing performance to identify areas for improvement.
- Developing, resourcing, and implementing project plans to ensure necessary improvements are implemented and related objectives are met or exceeded.
- Proactively setting and revising standards on an annual basis to maximize current and future performance.
- Promotes the Quality Policy at all levels of the organization and ensures that policies and procedures are being followed.
- Leads Lean Manufacturing/Continuous Improvement project teams. Encourages personnel to become trained and actively participate in company excellence initiatives.
- Perform work, promote teamwork and communicate in conjunction with our culture and corporate standards (Safety/Environmental, Quality, Continuous Improvement, Communication, Internal Controls, etc.).
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong communication skills with the ability to present views in a clear, concise and persuasive way, both verbally and in writing.
- Strong interpersonal skills that demonstrate intellectual and emotional intelligence to build credible working relationships at all levels.
- Strong leadership, organizational and planning skills that demonstrate leading and motivating people to achieve individual, team and project results.
- Ability to develop employees by possessing a genuine intent to foster the learning and development of department focusing on intent and effect rather than on the formal role of training or routinely sending others to formal training programs.
- Familiar with Lean Manufacturing techniques, Six Sigma processes, MRP knowledge, Materials management experience.
- Familiarization with computers including: Microsoft Office™ (Excel, Word, Access, Power Point, Projects, etc.), Lotus Notes, SAP
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Manufacturing, Engineering, Industrial Technology, or related field (Master’s Degree preferred) or an equivalent combination of education and work experience is required.
- 5+ years of experience in manufacturing & plant/production management
- 3-5 years of work experience with Lean Manufacturing Techniques
- Strong Business Management skills in the areas of (Planning, Budgeting, Working and Leading Others, Presenting and Communicating Information, Delivering Results, Meeting Customer Expectations, Adapting and Responding to Change.)
- Travel requirement <10%