Production Managers direct supervisors and assigned personnel within the Production Department. Coordinate production activity in a manner that results in the production of quality product in a safe and cost effective manner. Work with scheduling to ensure that an effective production plan is developed and executed consistent with plant procedures, customer service requirements, and plant objectives. The primary duties of a Production Manager include:
- Understands, follows and enforces all established safety, health, quality GMP and Company policies, procedures and recognized practices.
- Understands, follows and enforces all established policies, procedures and recognized practices.
- Works with supervisors to oversee all Production department personnel/HR issues including: hiring, reviews, recognition, disciplinary, attendance, and grievances.
- Responsible for the execution of a production schedule to satisfy customer service requirements with respect to time, cost, and quality.
- Assigns and oversees all supervisory project work such as safety programs, housekeeping, regrind, CQI, etc.
- Ensures cost effective inventory levels of production supplies are maintained to meet production requirements.
- Coordinates with the Maintenance Manager on the preventative maintenance required for the operational equipment.
- Maintains contact with the sales department so that customer requirements are effectively met and maximum utilization of plant facilities is obtained.
- Manages temporary staffing levels for the operation to achieve plant objectives for labor efficiency.
- Attends meetings as necessary.
- Assists in taking all physical inventories in accordance with corporate procedures.
- Conducts all trials and R & D for packaging conditions such as banding and stretch wrap.
- Ensures that the necessary plant Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) are developed and that production employees have been trained to meets plant operations objectives.
- May be responsible for special projects related to other functional areas.
- 0-25% travel may be required.
A Bachelor’s Degree and/or related operations experience; or equivalent combination of education and related operations experience is required. A minimum of five years’ experience in an operations supervisory or management role in a manufacturing environment with demonstrated leadership skills strongly preferred.
Production Managers are required to interact with other managers, employees, vendors, and customers. Therefore, the following skills and proficiencies are also essential requirements of the position:
- Ability to maintain regular, predictable, and punctual attendance.
- Computer usage and typing skills are essential.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, including the ability to effectively communicate with internal and external customers.
- Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude and providing exemplary customer service.
- Ability to work independently and to carry out assignments to completion within parameters of instructions given, prescribed routines, and standard accepted practices.
- Communicates effectively: conveys facts and information clearly both verbally and orally.
- Collaborates well with others: proactively contributes to group objectives; volunteers to help others.