Purpose and Summary of position:
- Tracks unit safety, quality, production and reliability metrics daily. Updates associated reports and initiates troubleshooting/corrective measures when metric trends are off track.
- Provides technical and hands-on troubleshooting for production unit operations throughout the day. Provides off-shift, holiday, and weekend technical support on a rotating basis with other day staff resources.
- Leads root cause analysis in small groups for safety, quality, production, and reliability related failures. Generates and tracks action items resulting from root cause analyses.
- Supports unit maintenance by developing plans for system/equipment shutdowns, decontamination, isolation, and restart. Coordinates with project and maintenance resources to ensure production units are prepared for maintenance. Prepares detailed written shutdown/startup plans, schedules, and Gantt charts.
- Uses knowledge of applicable HS&E, quality, and process safety requirements to scope, justify, and implement systemic improvement projects and drive site safety initiatives.
- Peforms lead role in unit process safety systems including: steward of the Management of Change program, PSRs and PHAs on new installations and modifications to existing operations.
- Evaluates existing operating procedures for effectiveness. Revises and/or re-writes procedures to ensure tasks are completed safely, efficiently, and consistently across all shifts. Provides formal and informal training to operators on proper execution of standard operating procedures.
- Uses both desk based and hands-on approaches to continually identify, develop, and implement programs to improve safety, quality, production, and cost.
- Expert use of MS Office applications suite. Must be able to create and modify complicated spreadsheets with embeded formulas.
- Must be able to work effectively in an outdoor environment through all seasons and weather.
- Must be able to ascend/descend ladders and stairs up to 125' off the ground. Must be physically capable of participating in site respiratory protection program.
- Must be willing and able to work off-shift hours, holidays, and/or weekends on an as-needed basis.
- 5 year's chemical manufacturing experience in an engineering role/position
- Batch polymerization experience. Working knowledge of chemical processing unit operations to include pumps, centrifuges, heaters/dryers, reactors, and automatic process control loops.
- Knowledge of OSHA Process Safety Management requirements and experience implementing process safety management programs.
- Effective oral and written communication skills across all organizational levels
- Strong computer skills. Experience using Pi Processbook, SAP, AutoCad/Autodesk, MiniTab highly desired.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple /priorites to help achieve objectives and long-term vision.
- Experience with statistical methods and root cause analyses. Exposure to six sigma methodologies a plus.
- Hands-on, field experience in equipment breakdown analysis, failure mode identification, and centerlining desired
Required Years of Experience:
- 5 years
- Bachelor's degree in engineering discipline. Chemical or mechanical engineering preferred.