Job ID : 92620BR
Location :US - Oregon - Hillsboro
US - Wisconsin - Madison
PSE is a multi-disciplined team which supports our global field service team through training, technical support, and creation of documentation in the new product development process. We support our brand by ensuring our front-line technical support, field service engineers, have the knowledge and resources needed to answer questions and resolve technical issues at the customer site. We monitor current trends in the global service force and adapt to the emerging situations in a rapidly changing environment as needed.
The Product Support Engineer-Microanalysis is the key role connecting the Field Service Support function with factory resources and expertise. This is done through the development and delivery ofeffective training courses and collateral resources, and the hands-on coordination of escalated customer quality issue resolution. He/she works closely with internal and external stakeholders in thefield, factory and engineering to establish, monitor and continuously improve procedures, processes and individual solutions that deliver world class quality to our customers. The products supported are detectors performing elemental and crystal phase analysis on electron microscopes. Specifically, thetechniques are energy dispersive x-ray analysis (EDS or EDX), wavelength dispersive x-ray analysis (WDS or WDX) and electron backscatter diffraction (EBSD).
- Provide system level technical support:
- to a global team of Thermo Scientific field service engineers.
- to field service engineers at representative companies serving regions where the company has nodirect sales and service presence.
- Plan, create and deliver training for field service engineers on current and legacy products.
- Create and update service manuals.
- Create, distribute and maintain library of factory communications to inform service engineers of important changes.
- Actively participate as a New Product Development team member to provide Design for Serviceability guidance, service plans, training plans, and replacement parts lists.
- Manage problem accounts to assure customer satisfaction, tracking multiple projects as they develop and keeping stakeholders informed as appropriate.
- Travel to customer sites to resolve service and training issues as needed.
- Other relevant duties as assigned.
The successful candidate for this position will possess the following combination of education and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Scientific or Engineering discipline; Master’s preferred. Combination of education and experience that demonstrate the required skill may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills with the ability to interact effectively with customers, distributors and a diverse range of roles within the company, from direct labor to senior management levels.
- Ability to work independently in a highly-matrixed organization: To synthesize various inputs and concerns, negotiate, and find paths forward that lead to results.
- Works well under pressure – remains calm and keeps a sense of humor during stressful situations
- Willing to travel up to 20% time and globally when needed
Highly Desired Skills or Experience
- Experience providing technical support to end users of analytical instrumentation
- Experience performing microanalysis with an electron microscope or EPMA
- Experience writing instructional materials in a scientific or engineering context
- Experience teaching or training technically adept audiences in a scientific or engineering context