Avery Dennison (NYSE: AVY) is a global materials science company specializing in the design and manufacture of a wide variety of labeling and functional materials. The company’s products, which are used in nearly every major industry, include pressure-sensitive materials for labels and graphic applications; tapes and other bonding solutions for industrial, medical, and retail applications; tags, labels and embellishments for apparel; and radio frequency identification (RFID) solutions serving retail apparel and other markets. Headquartered in Glendale, California, the company employs more than 30,000 employees in more than 50 countries. Reported sales in 2020
ABOUT AVERY DENNISON SMARTRAC:
Built on a legacy of innovation and materials science, Avery Dennison has embarked on a new era of opportunity. This is an opportunity to take the functional and traditional label and enable it with digital technologies that can give every item a unique digital identity and digital life.
This “intelligence applied” technology has the capability to enable a world of connected everything. A world where the 'who, what and where' of every physical, become points of irrefutable fact and absolute visibility. Provenance, authenticity, sourcing, history, real-time location; guaranteed for businesses and consumers throughout the entire supply chain and all the way to the home. At its most simple, a company with a legacy in “making labels” becomes a category-leading technology company making the Internet of Things a positive, transformative, world-wide reality for all of us. The label has always told us something about the product. Now it can tell us everything.
In February 2020, Avery Dennison acquired Smartrac, a leading manufacturer of RFID products. Combined with the Intelligent Labels business, we will leverage our deep industry knowledge and know-how in technology and innovation, R&D, quality and service to drive RFID and technology adoption across multiple industries. And we want you to be part of our journey!
Avery Dennison (AD) is seeking a Product Segment Manager (PSM) to join the Avery Dennison Smartrac (ADS) Product Management team and manage our RFID product portfolio for key segments of the Food industry, with a particular emphasis on the Fresh or Perishable Food Segment.
Specifically, an ADS PSM is responsible for managing and optimizing our portfolio of products necessary to meet the needs across a range of strategic customers within this industry. This portfolio may comprise products across relevant RFID product lines (UHF tags, HF/NFC tags, sensor tags, etc.). This position reports to the Head of ADS Product Management.
For key food industry segments, especially Fresh Food Segment, this role will:
- Collaborate with our commercial and strategy teams to assess market dynamics and requirements, internal capabilities, and technology trends to proactively define innovative and disruptive RFID products (includes HF/NFC tags, sensors and loggers) that resonate across a broad range of strategic customers,
- Collaborate with Commercial, Strategy, PLM, Sustainability and Development teams to define and manage RFID portfolio and product roadmaps and requirements informed by business needs across key customers, as well as market and technology trends, internal expertise/capabilities/innovations, and competitive product intelligence,
- Encourage sustainable product innovation, develop business cases, establish R&D priorities; and ensure commercial readiness of products within the portfolio,
- Manage and optimize the product portfolio in terms of introducing and launching new RFID products, rejuvenating high-runner RFID products, and replacing obsolete RFID products,
- Manage the process of gathering and synthesizing ideas/concepts for new products and evaluating their potential to create competitive advantage,
- Support RFID solution planning and site assessments as needed.
- At least ten (10) years of professional experience within the Food Industry with deep knowledge of the fresh/perishable food segment, value chain/cold chain, process experiences, and retail operations including grocery stores; and with specific expertise with respect to packaging and inventory management & traceability of fresh meats, poultry and seafood,
- At least five (5) years experience within a RFID or sensor product portfolio management,
- Demonstrate success in RFID or sensor product lifecycle management from concept to customer, especially as it relates to product roadmap and business case development, product innovation and requirements definition, new product development prioritization, product go-to-market, product end-of-life/transitions, and product portfolio optimization,
- Excellent organizational, people and project management skills, with an ability to openly convey information to team members and cross-functional stakeholders in a timely, concise manner,
- Ability to solve problems through effective communication and interpersonal skills. Excellent oral, written communication and presentation skills (Google Slides, PowerPoint, etc.),
- Command of qualitative market research skills and industry knowledge and use of related tools and databases,
- Strong business and financial acumen needed with demonstrated skills and knowledge of qualitative and quantitative problem-solving techniques including effective use of business analytics and related tools (Google Sheets, Excel, BI tools, etc.),
- Innovative, creative, and intuitive with courage to lean forward (willing to think “outside the box” and take calculated risks exploring new ideas and domains,
- Able to travel requirements up to 25% of time both domestic and international,
- Flexible, assertive, persuasive, persistent within in a global, matrixed, fast paced organization,
- Self-disciplined, agile, timely and results-driven, able to thrive in dynamic work environments,
- BS in technical or engineering field with relevant business and customer-facing experience.
- RFID (including sensors, loggers, and NFC) and IoT solutions experience strongly preferred.
- MBA or equivalent graduate degree preferred.
- Previous experience working internationally preferred.