The Product Owner is responsible for understanding customer needs, market trends and business objectives and translating this into technical requirements that our Product teams will build and implement. We work in an agile, scrum environment that delivers/releases continuously. We are seeking candidates that have deep technical skills, ability to manage a backlog and scrum team and can help provide context to our Product organization.
The Product Owner works alongside our Product Manager to champion their product(s), confirming SportsEngine's product(s); address market needs, differentiate from competition and drive revenue and profit growth. The Product Owner uses influence throughout the organization to confirm successful delivery of new releases, new products and achievement to their product metrics. These metrics include product revenue, product profit and new customer adoption and low churn.
Each day, hundreds of thousands of volunteer coaches, directors, and managers positively impact the lives of millions of athletes through Sports. In addition to teaching them about their sports, they also impact their lives by teaching them lifelong values of working hard, being honorable, and treating each other like family.
At SportsEngine, our mission is to help make these volunteer's lives easier by building world-class technology solutions to help them spend less time running their organization and more time putting smiles on the faces of these athletes. To us, they are heroes.
We're looking for people who not only believe in our mission, but have a passion for craftsmanship. We're one of Minnesota's Top 100 Companies to Work For, provide only the best facilities and equipment, offer competitive pay, great benefits, and the opportunity to go home each night knowing you truly made a difference in the lives of heroes.
Product Owner Role & Responsibilities:
- Demonstrates thought leadership with how product(s) address key market problems/needs
- Responsible for writing of product requirements, management and prioritization of backlog, management of the Product team's day to day activities
- Works closely with the engineering team to lead and manage through the agile/scrum process
- Responsible for launching product releases and successful delivery of new product capabilities from concept to post launch delivery
- Listens to the market to determine needs by actively engaging with customers, and participating in youth sports events and organizations for primary research and experience
- Present product details and training to customers, and internal teams including Customer Support, Sales, Product Marketing, Account Management and Management
- Drive user training, documentation and post-implementation turnover to business and support personnel
- Understand current systems and business processes to become the subject matter expert for assigned areas
Product Owner Minimum Requirements:
- Strong writing, verbal and presentation skills
- 5+ years working as a technology Product Owner or Senior level Business Analyst, SaaS is preferred
- Deep experience in technical story writing, leading story mapping activities and product storytelling
- Demonstrates logic and creativity when solving problems
- Exercises judgment with respect to managing priorities, resources and risk
- Excellent communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills
- Strong strategic, analytical and critical thinking skills; ability to break down complex problems and formulate plans.
- Deep knowledge of agile processes, experience with scrum
Product Owner Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience working with youth sports organizations or knowledge of National Governing Bodies operations (i.e. USA Hockey)
- Experience in building reporting tools that are highly configurable
- Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration or equivalent experience
- Have 5+ years of professional experience working on small or large business web applications
- Demonstrated track record of strong execution and experience partnering with technical teams to deliver results.
- Customer-centric orientation with proven track record of developing and acting on customer insights.