As an Availity Product Owner, you are the domain specialist who owns and drives the vision for the product development project. You are the single person ultimatelyresponsible for its success. In this role, you represent the business in thescrum team andwork with user groups and stakeholders to determine what features will be in each product release.
As the bridgebetween the Product Manager and the delivery team, you must align both parties to a common goal while aggressively managing stakeholder expectations. You define what success means for the team and the product while facilitating the Customer Team process and serving as their spokesperson.
- Lead the practice of Storyboarding
- Develop and prioritize user stories based on the understanding of the overall business benefit and the relative cost of each piece of work (based on the business objectives)
- Clearly define the acceptance criteria for each of the stories
- Make sure that the stories are VENTI – Valuable, Estimable, Negotiable, Testable and Independent
- Verify that the customer deliverables of stories, are consistent and agreed-upon
- Act as the voice of the customer
- Have a solid understanding of the customer and user segments
- Have a strong understanding of the business needs, product domain and business logic and use this to enable rapid technical development decisions.
- Be available to provide clarification of user stories
- Keep the big picture in mind
- Prevent customers and users from getting into unnecessary short-term product development trade-offs
Readiness & Validation Rhythm
- Facilitate the Customer Team process
- Manage the scope of the product backlog
- Determine if changes need to be made to the backlog to meet the product’s unique needs
- Groom backlog to add, delete or modify user stories on regular basis
- Ensure the Customer Team is properly prepared for kick-off and is able to complete storyboarding, release planning, and iteration planning
- With Customer Team:
- Provide direction to the Team on the scope and business objectives
- Ascertain that the Customer Team is prepared before release and iteration planning
- Actively participate in the release planning meeting with the whole team
- Ensure that the scope of monthly release demos remains realistic with respect to the capacity of the team
- Minimize scope changes mid-stream
- Monitor progress
- WithScrum Master:
- Stay aware of the status, risks and issues
- Assist with coordination of project planning, review/demo meetings, shared resource scheduling and celebrations
- Continually map and manage the scope of iterations & releases to match the team’s capacity
- Track progress and re-prioritization of backlog
- With User Experience Team Members:
- Ensure the usability testing is done on a regular basis and feedback incorporated in alignment with charter
- With QA Team Members:
- Form the acceptance criteria and develop relevant test cases
- Prioritize the logged defects
- Participate in acceptance testing for every release
- Confirm the developed product is acceptable to the end user
- Serve as spokesperson of the Customer Team – speak with one voice
- Keep the product charter updated; Make constant adjustments
- Ascertain that the Customer Team agrees on priorities
- Ascertain that the Customer Team agrees on acceptance
- Communicate the impact of changes and align the whole team around it
- Verify that the customer deliverables of wireframes, design and acceptance tests are consistent and agreed-upon
- With Other Product Owners & Product Managers:
- Identify synergies and dependencies between their roadmaps
- Identify conflicts between two or more verticals
- Act as mentor to other product owners
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field of study or equivalent experience.
- Master’s degree a plus.
- 5 - 7 years of progressive work experience designing business processes, process mapping, working on process improvement initiatives and business system design.
- Experience with data modeling, relational databases, data structures and design.
- Experience working in an entrepreneurial company.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Demonstrated mastery using PC skills, MS Suite products, and flowcharting tools. Must have a demonstrated mastery using email and electronic scheduling calendars.
- Expert level understanding of web development methodologies, application design, navigation, and information architecture.
- Expert in the writing of detailed technical documentation, specifically business requirements and functional specifications.
- Expert with facilitating JAD sessions or other requirements gathering processes.
- Extensive system testing experience.
- Strong relationship management and collaboration skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently under minimal guidance.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to use discretion and make sound decisions.
- Ability to work under pressure. Maintains composure and professionalism in an interrupt-driven environment. Must be able to multi-task.
- Ability to mentor others.
- Must be flexible and embrace change