The Product Manager is a Medicare Subject Matter Expert, who will be responsible for the development and ongoing oversight of strategies and tactics to ensure profitable enrollment growth of our Medicare and Medicare Advantage plan product categories. Product Managers are responsible for product strategy, vision, design, development and oversight. Includes all phases of the product process from market analysis and ideation through design and development, as well as ongoing monitoring of implementation tactics and results. Includes product pricing, input to marketing plans, product presentations, and implementation of changes.
Responsibilities & Requirements
- Tracks product profitability, enrollment, target consumer information, and competitive market trends related to assigned product category.
- Develops product assessments, business cases (and budgets), product forecasts and marketing strategies for a product category in order to maintain and increase market share and profitability.
- Oversees development, refinement and approval of new product concepts. Leads new product design and launch.
- Manages all aspects of the product life cycle from ideation through obsolescence. Creates product roadmap and work plans. Coordinates operational, network, process and system changes needed to support new/changing/terminating products.
- Coordinates product messaging, communications and promotions including internal and external product training.
- Partners with Marketing, Sales, Government Affairs and other Teams on go-to-market planning, including response to market-specific network, regulatory, and competitive changes and issues.
Additional General Functions & Outcomes for Product Manager II
- Provides leadership for cross-functional teams involved in complex, high priority projects.
- Operates with a high level of autonomy in anticipating issues, assessing risks, making tradeoffs and balancing business needs versus constraints.
In addition, The Product Manager Senior
- Applies expert knowledge to the most complex products and high-profile projects.
- Responsible for the long-term vision of product category as well as short-term implementation.
- May coach and mentor others within the department.
Competencies and Knowledge for All Levels
- Demonstrated business aptitude and understanding of Medicare health insurance, and the employee benefits industry.
- Product Management experience with Knowledge of Medicare product development principles and track record of creating successful products that balance consumer needs, business goals, and relevant constraints.
- Strong analytical skills in order to quantify market opportunities and measure product effectiveness.
- Effective communicator with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Effective project management skills including planning, organizing and administration of multi-functional work responsibilities.
- Ability to work within cross-functional teams, build effective working relationships and resolve issues.
- Ability to operate independently to navigate organizational complexities and to obtain resources needed to move initiatives forward.
- Ability to write executive level documents and make executive level presentations.
Additional Competencies and Requirements for the Product Manager II
- Proven ability to dive deep in understanding the product, business, and market trends and ability to develop business cases and clearly communicate data insights to others.
- Ability to lead cross-functional teams.
- Demonstrated effectiveness managing multiple, diverse and/or complex projects and deadlines.
Additional Competencies and Requirements for the Product Manager Senior
- In-depth knowledge of the health plan industry and related products.
- Ability to negotiate and resolve highly complex and sensitive issues with diplomacy and persuasiveness.
- Ability to lead and mentor other product team members.
Normally to be proficient in the competencies listed above:
The Product Manager I would have a BA/BS in Business Administration or relevant field (MBApreferred) with 4 years experience in a product management position within healthcare, insurance, or related industry or equivalent combination of education and experience.
The Product Manager II would have a BA/BS in Business Administration or relevant field (MBApreferred) with 6 years experience in a product management position within healthcare, insurance, or related industry or equivalent combination of education and experience.
The Product Manager Senior would have a BA/BS in Business Administration or relevant field (MBApreferred) with 8 years experience in a product management position within healthcare, insurance, or related industry or equivalent combination of education and experience.