Assist in the development of the countrywide auto product. Design and build the product to allow maximum flexibility to conform with state(s) requirements and market conditions, define eligibility and underwriting rules, rating rules, and set guidelines for state deviations. Has broad responsibility in managing the insurance product life cycle, developing competitive products through competitor and industry benchmarking, serving as product expert in supporting business development and marketing initiatives, and remaining abreast of emerging market opportunities.
- Works with the marketing and executive teams to develop state(s) profit and growth strategies including product positioning and marketing approach.
- Develops and recommends rate and trend selections to meet profitability goals. Coordinates the rate revision schedule with the systems integration team and field organizations (Customer Service and Agent Partners).
- Independently evaluates the performance of the book of business and identifies opportunities for improved pricing, segmentation, underwriting, and risk classification, giving due consideration to loss results, conversion, retention and competitive position in the marketplace.
- Assists in developing a strong Product Management team with a complement of Product, Regulatory and Actuarial talent. Leverage resources within the company and the Product Management department to optimize productivity and expertise.
- Makes data-based strategic decisions based upon knowledge of the market, which includes competitors, regulatory and legal environments, claims handling trends, and distribution channel/agent relationships.
- Works with the compliance unit to respond to the department of insurance for rate filings and market conduct exams and serves as a consultant on consumer complaints and other interactions.
- Develops and maintains relationships with state regulators through regulatory meetings (i.e. IRES, and SERA), daily phone contacts, insurance department visits and participation in industry group meetings.
- Manages all product changes, including but not limited to:
initial analytical research, development of recommendations to the Executive Pricing Committee, development of the business requirements, oversight of the testing process, and evaluation of the implemented changes.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the personal lines insurance industry, product pricing and features, competitor activities, and general market conditions including alternative markets within each environment required.
- Consistently demonstrated qualities of diplomacy, problem solving and decisiveness.
- Excellent leadership, coaching, project management and mentoring skills.
- Able to effectively communicate with Senior Management, articulate financial results and impact of tactics/strategy. Consistently receive Senior Management approval for recommended product and pricing revisions.
- Line of business expert with ability to develop underwriting, production, and pricing strategies.
- Strong organizational, written and verbal communication and proven analytical problem solving skills.
- Advanced understanding of Microsoft Access, Excel, Word, and familiarity with advanced database tools (SQL, SAS, R or similar tools).
Experience / Education:
- Bachelor's degree in mathematics, statistics, economics, a related field or equivalent education required.
- MBA and or Associate of the Casualty Actuarial Society (ACAS) designation preferred.
- 5 or more years of actuarial and/or product management experience in the property & casualty industry required