Industry: Professional, Scientific & Technical Services•
Less than 5 years
Posted 159 days ago
Schedule Type Full TimeAbout Us
Smiths is always looking for curious minds. For new colleagues who want responsibility and relish a challenge. Those who would like to use their talents to help make the world safer, healthier, more efficient and more connected.
We're proud that we've been helping propel the human world forwards during our 160 year history of innovation by looking at things differently, by adapting and never standing still, and by always thinking big.
Today we're an aligned global business of five divisions and around 22,000 colleagues that touches the lives of millions every year across five vibrant global markets.
Smiths Detection is a global authority on the application, management and manufacture of world-class detection and screening technology. We deliver the solutions you need to protect society from the threat and illegal passage of explosives, prohibited weapons, contraband, toxic chemicals and narcotics.
Known for our best-in-class expertise, equipment and support, customers rely on Smiths Detection to help them make the world a more secure place. With over 40 years’ experience, our mission is to use technology to develop innovative solutions and services which uphold the free flow of trade and make the world a safer place.
Smiths Detection, Inc. participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program.
Smiths Detection is an EEO/AA Employer/Vet/Disabled.
So whether you're an experienced professional or just starting out on your career, our global scale and focus on growth means great career opportunities for the right colleagues. There has never been a better time to join Smiths to help us create the future.
Product Management sets the tone for a product, understands the customer’s pain points, leads a team, takes various forms of input, and ultimately makes the product-related decisions.
In this role, the Product Manager is responsible for giving the overriding strategy for a broad product portfolio in CBRNE response for emergency responders, military, checkpoints, and screening applications. Additionally, the Product Manager provides subject matter and market expertise utilizing a variety of sensor and detection equipment.
The Product Manager role will own the global product road map and capture the voice of the customer within the vertical. The role is part of the overall Product Management Function, working closely with Sales, Marketing, Technology and overall business management to refine the strategy, product road map(s) and value proposition.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Product Manager will provide the link between the Users and Technology, Technology and the Business, and the Users and the Business.
Users and Technology
1. Develop messaging on product initiatives to internal and external stakeholders
2. Support marketing and Sales teams to create marketing plans
3. Interview customers on product uses and develop voice of customer feedback for development team
4. Develop PRDs that map to customer needs
Technology and the Business
1. Is the primary subject matter expert for the Technology, Programs, Operations, Service and Sales organizations.
2. Ensures proper budgets for the product line and monitor development activities
3. Continually update product roadmap based on market changes
4. Provide product line health feedback to key stakeholders and management
5. Provide goals and aspirations of the product line
6. Communicate vision, establish product strategy and execute plan
7. Work with technology teams to ensure business has access to the right technology to win
8. Drive product line support and manage total life-cycle of product portfolio
Users and the Business
1. Support Marketing and Sales and ensure customer feedback is communicated to the development team
2. Work with marketing and sales to ensure product is properly advertised
3. Support sales channels in identifying early adopters and testers
4. Align product value with market needs, establish feature value and market drivers
5. Develop competitor analysis and product positioning
• Bachelors Degree in Chemistry, Biology, Business, Marketing or Engineering
• Advanced Degree in Technology or Business preferred.
• Minimum of 3 years’ experience working in Marketing, Product Marketing and or Product Management.
• Prior work managing instrumentation, with portable chemical detectors and identifiers.
• Led or been active participant in projects encompassing Cross Functional teams. Project management experience preferred.
• Broad experience and understanding of multiple aspects of a business including but not limited to Customer Service, Manufacturing, Operations, Purchasing, Sales, Marketing, Research and Product Development
• Experience in overall product road mapping
• Experience in product lifecycle management
• Experience in dealing directly with Customers
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Visio and Project. Working knowledge of SAP, AHA!, and Teamcenter is also preferred.
• Knowledge of how data management impacts business processes
• Capable of developing business cases for technology investment and understand of NPV
• Effective communication skills at all levels of the organization
• Ability to manage cross-functional teams in a matrix environment and influence people outside of direct reporting relationships
• Market oriented way of thinking
• Ability to solve complex practical problems
• Deal with a wide variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
• Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
• Ability to work effectively under pressure to meet deadlines
• Individual may be required to sit, stand, walk regularly and occasionally lift 0-50 pounds