Product Manager I, II, III or Senior
The Product Manager job family is responsible for creating the business and product plan, and articulating the product strategy, vision, design, development and ongoing oversight of products that support the launch and growth of businesses within the Cambia family of companies. These roles are responsible for all phases of new product development and management activities including defining business requirements, leading product development, implementing and sustaining the strategic product roadmap, pricing and budget models, competitive positioning and product design for both existing and next-generation product offerings.
These roles are inherently cross-functional – and require close work and collaboration withcounterparts in product development, data science and data engineering, user experience, operations, program, and strategy to ensure all teams are delivering high-quality products that solve real market needs.
This specific role is responsible for understanding the current and future trends in medical plan design and related innovations that are ancillary but important to employer and broker customers. The candidate should have insights into market changes, network hybrid products, competitor strategies and associated differentiators. The unique set of skills require some financial and underwriting knowledge, a capacity for innovation, ability to scan and digest market movement, leadership presence, and excellent communication skills.
At Cambia, our values are fundamental to achieving our Cause of transforming the health care industry. They guide our actions and bring diverse perspectives together to improve the health care journey better for those we serve. All eight values are equally important and linked to the others: Empathy, Hope, Courage, Trust, Commitment, Innovation, and Accountability. These values are not just words on paper - we live them every day.
Responsibilities & Requirements
General Functions & Outcomes:
• Adept at working and creating health plan designs, plan differentiators and estimating impact of the design differentials to plan cost/spend. Identify innovative plan designs ensuring a balance between risk and conservative plans.
• Manage the product roadmap and prioritization process, including defining the deliverables into discrete commitments (sprint planning). Contribute to the long term product vision.
• Stay current on emerging risks, issues, major industry trends or events, and changing state and federal laws and regulations in order to make sound underwriting decisions that are vital tomeeting client needs and maintaining overall profitability.
• Understands the target market and primary user needs for a product. Directs the product management activities for products to meet business, market segmentation and financial goals.
• Synthesizes business requirements from multiple sources including or may include customer segments, healthcare product experts, brokers, and sales teams into requirement documents and agile project plans. Define business requirements from multiple sources, focusing on largest measures of success.
• May conduct market research by working with internal teams and visits to customers and other relevant companies
• Provides direct support to Sales, participate in product training for sales, as well as ongoing go to market efforts.
• Assist in development, preparations and presentation of data and analytics that will supportmarketing and sales, as well as department scorecards and general product success measurement.
• Continually help to assess and recommend enhancements to streamline processes and provide a superior Employer and Member experience.
• Manage a products life-cycle from planning to tactical activities to cross company go to market planning and product sunsetting.
• Collaborates with team to develop and deploy strategies for improving customer acquisition, engagement, and retention.
• Ensures that all issues are identified, reported, tracked and resolved in a timely manner.
- Proven record of creating successful products based on a balance of user needs, business goals, and technical constraints.
- Concrete experience managing complex products (preferably in healthcare) through a product development lifecycle
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills with demonstrated ability to lead teams and build effective working relationships with individuals and groups at all levels.
- Demonstrated project management skills including effective planning, organizing, and administration of multi-functional work responsibilities.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize features and enhancements, and are data driven and a student of test driven design.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing, including formal presentations and the facilitation of group planning sessions.
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize findings, prepare reports, create executive level documents and recommend solutions.
- Demonstrated track record in developing and managing highly successful products for healthcare preferred.
- Experience with analytics, forecasting, and developing business cases.
- Ability to negotiate and resolve issues with diplomacy and persuasiveness.
- Ability to work within cross-functional teams.
- Ability to operate independently to navigate organizational complexities and to obtain resources needed to move initiatives forward.
- Ability to write executive level documents and make executive level presentations.
- Demonstrated excellent attention to detail including proven ability to manage multipleprojects and priorities in parallel.
- Ability to learn new technology concepts quickly.
- Ability to think strategically and execute methodically.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment where continuous innovation is desired.
Additional Competencies and Requirements for the Product Manager II:
- Analytical and quantitative skills, ability to use hard data and metrics to back up assumptions and develop business cases. Ability to clearly communicate these data insights to others through written and other forms of documentation.
- Ability to work within and lead cross-functional teams.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple, diverse and/or complex projects and deadlines.
- Strong sense of market priorities and ability to appropriately push back against group think that will negatively impact company position in market place or marketability of the portfolio.
- Demonstrated ability to dive deep in understanding the product, business, and market trends (including the competitive landscape).
Additional Competencies and Requirements for the Product Manager III:
- High attention to detail including proven ability to manage multiple, competing priorities simultaneously
- Experience managing complex products with multiple end-user and purchaser persona and stakeholders.
- Ability to develop and lead cross divisional processes and clearly articulate complex information to achieve common goals.
- Ability to negotiate and resolve complex and sensitive issues with diplomacy and persuasiveness.
Additional Competencies and Requirements for the Senior Product Manager
- Demonstrated broad knowledge of product management and product development, management principles, strategic and operational planning, project implementation and performance monitoring, and financial analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to move abstract concepts and early product ideas through product development phases to deliver effective and successful product solutions with strong ROI.
- Comfortable using big data to uncover previously-unknown customer insights as well as building and defending data models.
- Ability to mentor other junior team members in areas of domain, process, strategy, and communication within the organization.
Normally to be proficient in the competencies listed above:
- The Product Manager I would have a BA/BS in Business Administration or relevant field with 4+ years' experience in a product management position in healthcare, or equivalent combination of education and experience. For technology specific roles experience in consumer-facing software & services or a start-up environment preferred.
- The Product Manager II would have a BA/BS in Business Administration or relevant field with 6+ years' experience in a product management position in healthcare or equivalent combination of education and experience. For technology specific roles experience in consumer-facing software & services or a start-up environment preferred. MBA preferred.
- The Product Manager III would have a BA/BS in Business Administration or relevant field with 8+ years' experience in a product management position in healthcare, or equivalent combination of education and experience. For technology specific roles experience in consumer-facing software & services or a start-up environment preferred. MBA preferred.
- The Product Manager Senior would have a BA/BS in Business Administration or relevant field with 10+ years' experience in a product management position in healthcare, or equivalent combination of education and experience. For technology specific roles experience in consumer-facing software & services or a start-up environment preferred. Must have experience that aligns directly to the products being managed. MBA preferred.