At the American Family Insurance Digital Transformation Office, our mission is to modernize and transform how business is conducted at American Family Insurance. We drive the development of leading, cloud-based digital solutions leveraging emerging technologies in software engineering and data science, and lead cross-functional “pod” teams to develop solutions that solve real business problems and seek out new revenue opportunities.
As our transformation effort expands across the enterprise, we are seeking smart, curious, and ambitious Product Management professionals with big ideas and small egos – who are 100% driven by transforming business processes, teams, and technologies.
As Product Manager, you will be responsible for managing the evolution of your product across multiple dimensions (e.g., feature & functionality, cost, risk and support), working with key internal and external stakeholders. As such, you will conduct deep analysis of market trends, customer empathy, and internal and external data to define a differentiated product vision that delivers unique value.
By incorporating your knowledge of strategic thinking and broad knowledge of technology, you will help drive senior-level discussions and decisions, shaping the strategy, technology and business solutions in support of your product. The ability to structure, plan, and problem solve key initiatives will ensure solutions are defined and delivered.
Partnering with the Business and your agile Pod team, you will create and maintain the product road map, product backlog, manage teams in support of rollout efforts, and ensure product adoption and success. You will act as the primary point of contact for all aspects of the product related to business stakeholders, partners and customers.
- Lead the product strategy and operational planning -- fostering innovation, prioritizing product initiatives, and coordinating the evaluation, deployment, implementation, and management of current and future products.
- Leverage the skills of team members to define the vision and strategy for products and lead your product team for optimum execution. You must be comfortable doing so with people who may or may not report to you.
- Oversee all product management and product development efforts and establish and implement a unified methodology with your team peers and organizational stakeholders.
- Position products for rapid growth, working closely with engineering to insure scalability and reliability.
- Serve as the “translator” for both the customer and market, as well as internal stakeholders, including but not limited to: business lines, cross divisional teams, product managers, product owners, product vision, and product strategy.
- Teach and advocate an agile framework and principles pragmatically vs. dogmatically, in order to achieve team health and consistent delivery. Understand how and when to leverage design thinking, UX and other frameworks into the process for a flexible hybrid methodology that fits the team, product and customer.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- At least 4 years of product development and product management experience, from strategy to execution to commercialization.
- Proven success in building, developing, leading, and motivating teams - with or without owning direct reports.
- Expertise in data driven products, data science facilitation, SaaS, SaaP, DaaS and DaaP and effective iterative development life cycles.
- Experience developing and deploying products into the cloud.
- Proficiency with Jira or other agile development workflow tools along with digital road mapping solutions.
- Expertise navigating matrixed organizations and teams with proven success in leveraging the right people and resources at the right time for consistent and dependable delivery.
- P&L ownership and success focused on performance metrics with varying KPI’s for product road maps and portfolios. Ideally with a strong marketing background.
- This job requires travel up to 10% of the time.
Additional Job Information:
- This position is located in Madison, WI-- though we are open to remote working, with frequent trips to Madison early on in your tenure expected, then subsequent visits to headquarters after your first few months.
- Relocation assistance is available for those who qualify.