The Product Manager, Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning will be responsible for AI/MLservices that will be used across the Ellucian portfolio. These services will augment new and existing portfolio functionality with machine learning and artificial intelligence capabilities, focused on new and innovative ways to engage with people across an institution.
This new role within our Product Management organization is in support of Ellucian's solution evolution. The role is responsible for building empathetic and user experience based product requirements (epics and user stories). The role will collaborate and work day-to-day with customers, end-users, market strategy, product leadership, development, and other organizational stakeholders in a highly agile environment to ensure that the product requirements reflect the functional and non-functional needs for customer success. All deliverables coming out of this role will be with an eye for the user, using design-thinking methodologies to ideate solutions.
The new solutions and services will traverse the Ellucian portfolio and drive innovation as a means to "build once, service many", increase speed to market, and drive organic growth for the organization. Additionally, these solutions and services are key for ideal constituent experiences within the higher education community, helping institutions to be more competitive in a quickly evolving and highly commercialized landscape.
The Product Manager is the voice of the customer and reports up through the Product Management. The Product Manager provides the focus for team execution with a keen eye for user experience. From a business perspective, the Product Manager adds a degree of accountability to the day-to-day activity surrounding the product and ensures the engineering team is delivering the right solution. This specific role will be supporting our bleeding-edge AI/ML offerings, with the ultimate goal being to "crack the code" behind what constitutes student success.
The Product Manager facilitates discussions between various internal and external groups to elicit feedback on current and future product features. They also serve as the primary communication conduit for those stakeholders. A Product Manager who is both knowledgeable and experienced with empathetic design thinking is critical to the success of these projects and the resulting products.
A Product Manager acts as a strategic decision maker for development teams and to accomplish these goals, they will:
- Collaborate with Product Leadership to fully understand business objectives, market requirements, and customer needs
- Complete extensive market and competitive solution research, conduct user interviews, and lead user groups in order to identify disruptive, innovative opportunities and create ideal user experiences
- Understand and translate user pains into actionable solutions by leading design-thinking workshops
- Accountable to the creation of wire frames and/or other product specifications, and using these to break down backlog requirements (epics, features, and user stories) specific to business objectives and research
- The Product Manager will be the subject matter expert (SME) for the scrum teams, drawing on their broad domain knowledge. They will be the go-to person for the development teams for project development decisions and articulation of the requirements
- Make independent decisions and take action within broadly defined practices and procedures helping teams achieve the sprint goals
- Help review product NPS and Quality metrics on a regular basis and plan with the team on corrective measures
- Facilitate collaboration sessions between multiple stakeholders around Product and Feature development
- Work closely with the Software Development Manager in product planning, release planning, team capacity and prioritization of sprint work.
- Engage in day-to-day activities with the Product development teams. This involves attending daily scrum ceremonies, leading refinement sessions, and engaging with the development team, providing direction and focus, where appropriate
- Be involved in regulatory interpretation and monitoring, client support, feature prioritization, and responding to Community postings.
- Participate in meetings with customer development partner groups and focus groups along with the Product Leadership team
- Build cross-organizational awareness of product issues and organizational readiness for a software product release
- Critically evaluate information gathered from multiple sources, reconcile conflicts, decompose high-level information into details, abstract up from low-level information to a general understanding, and distinguish user requests from the underlying true need
- 4+- years of relevant and progressive work experience in product management or UX in a heavy product-orientated environment
- Bachelor's degree required
- Knowledge and experience in empathetic design-thinking processes, new solution launches, and solution adoption planning
- Experience with Artificial Intelligence and/or Machine Learning strongly preferred
- Experience in Agile Scrum Agile Development Methodology with a focus on supporting daily scrum, sprint planning, sprint reviews, retrospectives and consistently improving maturity in agile practices required
- Experience influencing a cross-functional matrixed product launch team
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Self-starter who understands how to effectively deal with ambiguity and with changing priorities
- Strong analytic skills required, including the ability to interpret customer needs into application and operational requirements
- Great team player – must have the ability to deal with conflicts, manage negotiations, provide feedback and drive needed change management practices with the objective of achieving the required outcomes
- Flexibility in work hours will be an expectation with the role requiring interaction with a global team - customers and other key stakeholders
- Global travel may be required up to 25% for research, customer visits, industry events, conferences.