CAS uses intuitive technology, unparalleled scientific content and unmatched human expertise to help companies create groundbreaking innovations that benefit the world. As the scientific information solutions division of the American Chemical Society, CAS manages the largest curated reservoir of scientific knowledge, and for 112 years, has helped innovators mine, assess and apply that information to keep businesses thriving. The CAS team is global, diverse, endlessly curious and strives to make scientific insights accessible to innovators worldwide.
CAS is currently seeking a Product Manager. This position will be located in our Columbus, OH headquarters.
This role is responsible for developing and leading CAS’s product strategy in scientific information or supporting technical products. As Product Manager, the incumbent will leverage deep understanding of customer workflows in order to solve meaningful problems through information-driven solutions. This person must be able to effectively understand the drivers of activity within a workflow, and steer CAS’s strategy within that workflow based on customer needs. This role will provide business leadership through all stages of the product lifecycle, and will be responsible for driving alignment across the organization on roadmap development, prioritization and investment decisions.
- Strategic Roadmap – Develops strategy to drive growth programmatically in opportune or needed areas. Internalizes overall company strategy such that it informs market requirements and feature prioritization. Creates and justifies product strategy, conceives new opportunities for major feature/function enhancements.
- Market Understanding - Leads focus groups, customer surveys, and user testing to inform product priorities. Monitors key product analytics to inform development priorities. Establishes and leverages effective relationships with customers, thought leaders, and sales. Understands competitive context. Provides direction as to relevant customer segments to target for research.
- Product Roadmap – Understands market priorities and works with other product managers and technology partners to identify solutions. Develops compelling and actionable product roadmap. Prioritizes and sequences product features and stories to meet market demands. Leads feature and roadmap definition for a specific product area. Delivers prioritized recommendations and business cases.
- Product Requirements - Documents clear and measurable product requirements, makes data-driven prioritization recommendations, and understands practical trade-offs between implementation and functionality. Creates detailed product specifications using written requirements, business rules, process flows and use cases; incorporates user experience generated deliverables such as prototypes, wireframes and design and copy documents.
- Product Delivery - Manages the development and launch of new features and functionality through the entire product development lifecycle process from concept through implementation and release. Authors market requirements/agile epics and bring forward market requirements/agile epics to grow products.
- Business Plan/Product Profitability – Constructs and justifies business plan for approval. Owns topline for assigned products. Establishes actionable roadmaps, content plans, development plans, launch plans and budgets.
- Go-to-Market Roadmap – Can develop full launch package including pricing and product bundling options; targeted segments; competitive analysis; and provides feedback as necessary into feature/function built. Ability to analyze market data and develop programs to market products and support the sales effort.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a scientific, technological or business-related field. Advanced degree in a scientific, technical discipline and/or MBA strongly preferred.
- Experience - 5-7 years relevant work experience in product management, scientific management, or strategy roles. Strong working knowledge of either 1) scientific research and development in the pharmaceutical, related life sciences and/or chemical industry or 2) search and relevance in information solutions.
- Communication – Strong formal and informal communication. Can create compelling communication materials to support the logic behind recommendations and decisions. Communicates with colleagues in concise, compelling, empathetic and persuasive ways. Able to effectively interact with customers, address their questions and concerns, and leverage active listening skills to assess product opportunities and risks. Able to manage negotiations with limited supervision or instruction.
- Leadership – Able to effectively lead projects and drive successful outcomes. Strong management skills leading large cross-functional initiatives. Effectively uses influence to lead projects, able to influence the performance of others through effective collaboration.
- Analysis and Modeling - Demonstrated experience effectively using research and data to drive complex decisions, ability to establish relevant metrics with little direction. Ability to complete and apply financial modeling tools and techniques. Firm understanding of ROI and ability to apply as a decision-making tool.
- Understands Business Drivers, Context and Key Issues - Has a good working and background understanding of business drivers and key issues, sees actions in organizational context. Able to answer, “So What? What’s Next?” questions to deeply understand complex issues and define strategic options.
- Agile Product Development – Able to collaborate across teams to manage development of moderately complex products. Uses effective communication and active listening skills to identify and articulate product requirements, able to leverage subject matter expertise across teams to deliver timely results. Seeks support and escalates as needed.