The Product Line Manager (PLM) acts as a central communication channel and facilitator between regional omni-channel merchandising and distribution teams, marketing teams, and cross-functional stakeholders to deliver globally relevant and brand-right product, reflective of our consumers' needs. The PLM will leverage in-depth knowledge of the UGG brand DNA, competitive positioning, marketplace trends, consumer segmentation, and real-time sales information and insights to inform category product strategy and line assortment plans. Combining art and science, the PLM partners closely with product creation team (designers, developers, creative studio), throughout the product life cycle to develop "the right" products at the right time, maximizing UGG's expression in the market, ensuring brand synergy and connection across categories, and optimizing each SKU to meet our customers' expectations, as well as our financial goals.
The PLM will manage assigned category product line throughout the full product life cycle, including stages of pre-planning, business briefing, confirmation, presentation, pricing and profitability; final execution, and global product line/business integration. The PLM will take ownership for area of responsibility with regard to category performance including responsibility for sales and margin targets, product execution, and evaluation and implementation of new opportunities for the global omni-channel consumer. Works collaboratively and cross-functionally as an influential team member to deliver strategic direction for the product category. Manages the product architecture process and communication within global teams to ensure consumer needs are met.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages the MFO and SMU line plans globally
- Product life cycle management: build, drive and strategize global merchandise line plan; research and initiate new and existing global business/product opportunities; research and interpret market trends for consumer and account opportunities; build the product line to support objectives of global the category across channels to meet financial goals.
- Responsible for overall strategy for assigned product line using inputs from seasonal inspiration, trend, sales history & market research creating concept briefs with end user product feature/benefit and cost structure. Work directly with global product creation team in assuring product cost and integrity exists in the collections.
- Analyze global performance to build an accurate range plan that optimizes sku efficiency. Works with Design and Development to ensure product segment is in line with brand DNA and competitive set. Creates merchandising stories around color, materials to ensure commercial product flow.
- Responsible for the compilation of a seasonal business brief and line plan for category, including product price, segmentation, sku count, adoption, and all major meeting milestones. Act as the key contact between sales, brand planning, marketing, merchandising, product design, and global product development communicating regional insights for merchandising stories, color, trend, material, etc.
- Ensure alignment with Go to Market process through partnership with Design, Development, Marketing, Sales, and Omni-channel counterparts. Serve as leading contributor/presenter at major milestones, sales launch, and other presentation needs.
- Evolve the line architecture to match business growth goals and objectives. Evaluate and build toward opportunities, while maintaining current business. Analyze new and carry/over- and establishes product life cycles.
- Shared accountability with product creation team for data accuracy in product information systems.
- Collaborate with legal team to protect brand integrity and drive product naming process.
- If a People Manager all of the above and:
- Train and develop team members based on individual talents. Support internal career path and development.
- Mentor and provide regular feedback to team members that foster skill development and performance improvement including tough conversations.
- Recognize and reward behaviors that are in alignment and support the division's and company's initiatives.
- Ensure teams adhere to company policies and procedures
- Establish formal communication protocol through regular team meetings and 1:1 meetings with direct reports
- Continually monitor team processes to ensure ongoing innovation and efficiency.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 5-7 years of related experience (retail, product line management, merchandising, product development & design)
- Ability to analyze and translate trends and market information to inform category and product positioning, distill and prioritize business opportunities to make effective decisions
- Persuasive communicator with finely honed negotiation and influencing skills; awareness of the needs of the global consumer
- Ability to lead, manage and influence in a matrixed environment; drive alignment between product, sales, and marketing
- Strong business acumen - continuously evaluates competitors and the marketplace to creatively capitalize on market opportunities
- Understanding of merchandising and retail math
- Strategic thinking; ability to see the big-picture and communicate an impactful vision
- Problem solving ability
- A self-starter who brings a level of passion, enthusiasm, and focus to their business and can guide partners with a positive and entrepreneurial approach
- Experience designing and delivering compelling presentations for small and large audiences
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Organizational skills with experience managing complex projects, critical paths/timelines
- Ability to manage multiple deadlines in a fast paced, changing environment
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications, Flex PLM (preferred) or similar system