This position has responsibility for the overall management of laboratory services including operations, clinical, regulatory, financial, and personnel management across laboratory departments within Deaconess Health System. The Laboratory Service Line Manager is responsible for planning, developing, supervising and coordinating all activities of laboratory services. The Laboratory Service Line Manager has the responsibility for the quality, consistency, and cost effectiveness of laboratory services on a short term and long term basis. This position is responsible for the integration of laboratory services provided by the department into the overall function of the hospital and health system.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees the overall administration of all Laboratory Services across the Deaconess Health System.
- Participates in and leads department committees, hospital committees and quality improvement teams.
- In coordination with the Business Manager provides financial management of Laboratory Services:
- Prepares annual capital equipment, personnel, and expense budget for laboratory departments. Investigates and reports budget variances monthly. Negotiates contracts and makes decisions regarding purchase of laboratory equipment and supplies. Develops cost analysis reports. Maintains laboratory department’s productivity system. Monitors productivity system for variances. Oversees the management and utilization of testing and participates in the Pharmacy, Therapeutics and Diagnostic Committee. Provides direction to clinical staff regarding cost effective use of testing and protocol development. Evaluates current and new program, protocols, equipment, testing for cost effectiveness and quality value.
- Consults with Hospital Administration, Department Directors, Managers and Other Hospital Personnel.
- Provides information to hospital administration and other areas of the hospital as needed and as requested. Communicates information from hospital administration and other areas of the hospital to laboratory personnel as needed. Acts as a resource to hospital regarding laboratory regulations and best practice. Initiates action to correct areas of concern.
- Provides Leadership and Direction for all Laboratory Services across the Deaconess Health System.
- Has responsibility for overall supervision of all laboratory services. Responsible for strategic planning, establishing the vision and direction of the department. Plans, evaluates and implements programs, testing, and equipment which is in accordance with the overall patient care program of the hospital. Writes and revises policies and procedures as needed. Responsible for recruiting, interviewing, hiring, promoting, and terminating laboratory personnel. Oversees coordination of the laboratory clinical functions including work schedules and assignments, department educational program, training of employees, competencies, quality assurance, and employee performance appraisals. Assures compliance with regulatory agencies such as the Indiana State Department of Health, HFAP, CAP, CMS, FAA, FDA, NRC, and COLA.
- Collaborates with laboratory Medical Director, laboratory Administrative Director and other hospital personnel with establishing and executing departmental and organizational laboratory initiatives.
- Has responsibility for oversight of all outreach laboratory services (nursing homes, client offices, Deaconess Clinic offices, lab picks ups for other hospitals/clinics in the region, etc.) including but not limited to: client relationships, business development, access opportunities, logistics, and billing.
- Has responsibility for overall supervision of the Laboratory Information Systems (LIS) team. Works collaboratively with the IT department leadership for provision of laboratory resources and expertise for electronic medical record.
- Has direct leadership responsibility for strategic planning, budgeting and human resource management of Deaconess Midtown, Deaconess Gateway, Deaconess The Heart Hospital, Deaconess Ortho and Neuro Hospital, Deaconess Henderson Hospital, Deaconess Clinic, and Deaconess Cross Pointe. Serves in a consulting capacity for various joint ventures within Deaconess Health System. Supports critical access hospitals within the Deaconess Health System with recommended best practices, supply/equipment negotiations and opportunities to standardize processes and equipment when appropriate.
- Communicates with pathologists and providers across the health system.
- Oversees Safety Policies, Standards of Employee Conduct, and Laboratory General, Computer, and Compliance Policies and Procedures.
- Education and Technical/Professional Credentials: Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from four-year College or university required. MT-ASCP Bachelor’s degree or equivalent certification preferred. Master’s degree preferred.
- Proof of education will be required. This proof will be in the form of an authorized copy of an original diploma or transcripts. Transcripts may be required if further definition of a degree is needed.
- Experience and Training: At least three years’ hospital management experience required. Laboratory management experience preferred.
- Job Knowledge and Skills Necessary: Position requires excellent organizational and communication skills. Must have knowledge of personnel selection and evaluation. Analytical ability to evaluate problem situations in depth and come to conclusions is necessary. Must have flexibility to juggle several projects simultaneously and the ability to successfully cope with diversity, complexity and pressure. Must have a knowledge of Laboratory regulatory requirements. Ability to instruct and supervise professional staff is required. Must understand the use and limitations of diagnostic instruments and specific functions. Must be familiar with all department methods and collection techniques.
- Initiative and Judgment: Must be able to work independently and make decisions under pressure while following professional standards and hospital policies. Significant initiative and judgement is required in all aspects of the position. Works under limited supervision.