Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
As a leading developer, manufacturer, and global supplier of scientific laboratory products for 100 years, Corning’s Life Sciences segment collaborates with researchers seeking new approaches to increase efficiencies, reduce costs and compress timelines in the drug discovery process. Using unique expertise in the fields of materials science, surface science, optics, biochemistry and biology, the segment provides innovative solutions that improve productivity and enable breakthrough discoveries.
Scope of Position:
Reporting to the Business Director, Media, the Product Line Manager has global commercial responsibility for Corning’s Catalogue and Specialty Media product portfolio. The position requires interaction with individuals in all areas of Corning including Sales, Technical Support, Order Service, Forecasting, Inventory Control, Manufacturing, Supply Chain Management, Quality, Regulatory Affairs and R&D to assure that customers’ needs are met. The successful candidate will have an understanding of the sales process from initial customer contact through successful use of Corning products in the different workflows that require Classical and Specialty Media. The Product Manager in collaboration with the Business Director will be the champion of new product development working with customers, technical service, the sales team, R&D and Applications Development to identify new applications and product ideas and then working through Corning’s Innovation Process to commercialize these new product opportunities. The successful candidate will be expected to identify and successfully negotiate agreements to in-license specialty media that compliment Corning’s existing media portfolio.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Maintain effective, regular communications with global sales and marketing groups
- Meet regularly with Finance, Manufacturing, Supply Chain, and Forecasting Departments
- Regular tracking of product line performance according to key metrics
- Develop marketing content and collateral
- Manage forecast information for products under supervision
- Monitor out-of-stock situations and communicate corrective actions with manufacturing and the business team
- Serve as the intermediary for key suppliers in dealing with day to day operations
- Develop and execute annual global commercial plans designed to achieve annual product line objectives, including pricing strategy and promotional growth initiatives
- Assist in the development of sales tools and training programs for the CLS sales organization and channel partners
- Meet with customers in order to facilitate voice of customer feedback regarding product changes/upgrades and new products
- Work with key dealers to develop marketing programs and gain support on growing sales
- Maintain knowledge of competitive products, market perception, and market direction
- Over site and coordination of multiple conferences and tradeshows to support the products
- Identify gaps in current media portfolio and potential external partners to help fill those gaps.
Travel Requirements: 20-30%
RequiredEducation and Experience:
- BS Degree in Biological Sciences (MBA or Master’s in Life Science field strongly preferred)
- 5+ years of business experience in Life Science Industry with a focus on media including: product management, marketing, and/or sales
- Ability to think strategically and develop businesses
- Strong business opportunity assessment and financial analysis skills
- Acumen for finance and manufacturing
- Excellent communications skills – written and verbal
- Strong interpersonal skills and interact with cross-functional and global teams
- Strong knowledge of developing marketing programs
- Decisive, tenacious
- Passion for the business with a “can do” attitude
- Creative, able to think “out of the box”
- Good team skills, able to work in dynamic environment
- Understanding of product development process; ability to drive new product projects as the commercial lead
- Strong leadership skills
- Change agent; positively and proactively supports and leads change
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects
- Strong customer focus
- Negotiation skills
Req #: 1843