The Product Introduction Manager is central to the successful development and commercialization of new and revised food products. This person will use his/her knowledge and technical expertise to manage the planning, organization and coordination of Commercial Plant Testing. He/she will ensure effective development of in-plant processes, new equipment and ingredients testing, and the improvement of manufacturing efficiencies and cost-down efforts. This is a managerial role and may oversee subordinate staff.
New and Revised Product Introduction
- Responsible for execution to introduce new products and formulations.
- Responsible for effective CP tests in support of new or revised product development.
- Communicate effectively with R&D, Production, Quality Assurance, MKT, Sales, SCM and other departments to resolve issues and ensure smooth commercialization of new or revised products.
- Develop and assess production technology: Scaling up product quality and productivity (Throughput) from laboratory scale to commercial scale. Develop technology on collaboration with R&D, Engineering and Production.
- Create accurate production cost evaluations for new or revised products in cooperation with operations and other relevant teams.
- Ensure the timely creation and accuracy of product Bill of Materials, routings, flow charts and other supporting documentation for new and current products in compliance with ISO/SQF and other applicable management systems.
Projects: Process Development, Continuous Improvement
- Develop new processes when needed in cooperation with R&D, production and engineering teams, utilizing technical knowledge of manufacturing equipment, people and existing processes.
- Standardize flow-chart: Establish flow-chart system and documents, flow-chart has to include production flow, machine/operational condition, material balance, quality standard, measurement method for quality, and action after finding abnormal quality.
- Develop and maintain industry expertise in support of new and existing processes.
- Oversee testing and analysis of replacement or alternate raw and packaging materials in support of cost down and stable supply initiatives.
- Ensure proper communication of process and product changes.
- May travel to other facilities in support of product development, product transfer, process improvement and cost down projects
Quality and Consistency of Existing Products
- Promote cooperation with R&D and QA departments to establish product quality specifications, equipment and process specifications and testing requirements for process control for new and existing products.
- Communicate sensory and technical directions to production to ensure consistency of product quality as necessary to establish regular ongoing quality performance on production lines.
- Ensure ongoing technical and quality related training of production employees.
- Assist with root cause analysis for non-conforming product as necessary. Make suggestions for corrective actions.
Manage Project related Supporting Staff
- Oversee the activities of personnel, ensuring departmental procedures, GMP's, quality and safety standards are met or exceeded.
- Train and educate personnel in a manner that contributes to departmental, company and societal goals.
- Evaluate employee skills and performance, making appropriate recommendations.
- Promote a positive, team-oriented environment.
- Comply with all company policies and procedures.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s Degree (BA or BS) from a four year college or university in a relevant discipline; plus at least five years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.