Tesla Motors is seeking a Palo Alto (CA) based Product Engineer with a focus on Infotainment Systems. This role is at a key connection point between our worldwide service centers and the development and production base in Silicon Valley, California. Your responsibility will be to keep our vehicles on the road through proactive analyses of the vehicle fleet and to reduce their time spent in service centers by your effective remote diagnostic work. You need to be able to efficiently work with large amounts of data in order to process information and make the correct conclusions in a timely manner. A strong technical background in diagnosing complex electromechanical systems with heavy software content and deployed in safety-critical applications is required. You will perform supporting activities for engineering and manufacturing to implement new vehicle firmware and hardware upgrades that improve vehicle and system performance. This engineer must be passionate about diagnostics, must be a strong critical thinker with great fluency understanding technical system-level architecture and issues.
Required or Desired Skills:
- Diagnostic experience through testing or QA. Clear and intuitive understanding of the diagnostic process. Ability to identify emerging failure trends, determine root cause and implement solutions.
- Two years Electrical or Software engineeringexperience with specialization in one or more of the following areas:
- Networking (IP, dhcp, dns, different layers)
- Modem, (AT commands)
- Cellular knowledge (PS/CS attach state, cellular networks, cellular bands, APN, reception)
- Strong understanding of regional requirements for various connectivity technologies
- Strong background in Linux systems and tool development
- Consumer or Automotive electronics service and repair experience a plus
Desired Personal Skills:
- Excellent communication and people skills which allow easy and clear communication between Engineering and Service worlds.
- Ability to diagnose connectivity system issues quickly and explain the situation to diagnostic technician or end user in terms that make sense to them. After determining whether repairs can be done or a replacement is needed, you offer solutions to quickly get users up and running again
- You have excellent time management skills and can make decisions quickly.
- Self driven, comfortable working in a self-managed manner
Field Support Responsibilities:
- Debug connected systems and perform diagnostics on field failures both remotely - looking at data logged by the vehicle, and directly in the field.
- Identify, track and drive solutions to fielded vehicle connectivity concerns
- Provide technical support for connectivity concerns to vehicle technicians in order to minimize vehicle downtime, through day to day coverage of internationally distributed service cases.
- Develop diagnostic tools, diagnostic procedures or diagnostic information to empower Technicians to properly diagnose Wifi, LTE, 3G, and Bluetooth concerns in order to ease and speed the repair of Tesla vehicles.
- Develop an in-depth understanding of all vehicle systems and their integration.
Product Enhancement Responsibilities:
- Coordinate with design teams to perform further root cause analysis with component owners where necessary.
- Recognize trends and patterns in field failures and feedback to the development team by distilling the relevant information from the field, prioritizing, and providing tangible and actionable information. Purpose is to drive short-term fixes and future improvements.
- Work withengineering, quality, and manufacturing teams to ensure new issues are fully investigated and that countermeasures are in place.
- Review user experience issues and deficiencies, and escalate those to development teams that can be addressed by firmware or hardware improvements and/or revised functional specifications.
- Localization Testing of new software and hardware in various global markets.
- Assist in the specification, design and serviceability of Tesla’s future User Interface with the goals of high reliability, component availability, ease of diagnosis, minimized production and servicing costs, but most of all, customer experience.
- This role pays special attention to North American market in vehicle connectivity concerns. This includes Canada, US and Mexico. As such occasional travel may be required.