The Hartford is currently looking for an experienced candidate with a private and non-profit Directors & Officers Liability (D&O) background to join the Middle Market Management Liability (MMML) team as a Product Director within the Specialty Commercial organization.
The Product Director would work collaboratively with peers throughout the organization to provide multi-disciplinary problem solving, execution and input across all levels of the MMML business unit, including form drafting and maintenance, underwriting strategy, portfolio performance and more.
In addition to serving as the organization’s private and non-profit D&O subject matter expert, the candidate will be the owner of the package policy product and will work with the other Product Directors in the MMML organization to ensure the success of that product as a whole. As such, candidates should also possess multi-disciplinary management liability product expertise, strong legal and/or analytical skills and exhibit intellectual curiosity and a desire to achieve.
Specialty Commercial represents The Hartford's significant presence in the financial, executive, management and professional liability insurance markets. The Hartford is one of the nation’s leading providers of D&O, Employment Practices Liability (EPL), Fiduciary Liability, Errors & Omissions Insurance (E&O), Cyber liability, Fidelity and other specialty insurance lines.
The Hartford offers both private and public company coverage including targeted programs for financial services, technology, real estate operating companies, venture capital-backed companies and more.
The Middle Market Management Liability Product Director will be accountable for the following:
• Be the “subject matter expert” for both private and non-profit D&O coverage
• Review, draft and maintain the private and non-profit D&O policy and endorsement library
• Provide recommendations to keep private and non-profit D&O products current and fitting for industry needs
• Continuously research the competitive landscape, economic, industry, product, actuarial trends, risk assessment, and financial metrics to determine recommendations for new product/coverage opportunities and strategies
• Provide thought leadership in one’s area of expertise, including drafting white papers and first alerts, and participating on industry panels
• Provide internal and external training
• Work with the other “subject matter expert” Product Directors to ensure that the package policy product works in concert across lines of coverage
• Work closely with senior leaders throughout the organization to develop and implement underwriting strategies which will position the MMML organization to achieve performance goals
• Measure assigned line of business results on a continuous basis and provide recommended direction to support senior management’s role in determining acceptable risk and profitability
• Actively solicit feedback regarding strategies and work with the business unit to take actions necessary to identify and address issues
• Identify trends and develop recommendations for improvement as needed
• Develop and maintain underwriting guidelines and underwriting authority
• Advance pricing and portfolio segmentation
• Develop and maintain relationships throughout the organization to support multi-disciplinary problem solving and execution and input across all levels of business
• Support underwriting on key business initiatives
• Develop insight into competitors' strengths, weaknesses and strategies and leverage to drive profitable business and increased market penetration
• Develop and maintain external distribution relationships for input and to promote business initiatives, including but not limited to key agents and brokers, broker and industry subject matter experts, key insureds, service providers and analytics firms
• Takes a leadership role in sharing knowledge and supports the sales and underwriting process by educating underwriters, developing technical skills and providing further visibility regarding the product to both the internal Hartford and wider Financial Products community
• Accountable for supporting the development, training and motivation of high performance teams, employing a fact-based decision process, and promoting role clarity and RAPID model role assignments
• Provide coaching to staff
• Drive accountability and ownership of group results
• Be an underwriting and litigation subject matter expert on assigned lines of business and industry classes
• Private and non-profit D&O subject matter expert
• 5+ years’ experience, specifically with focus and expertise in Middle Market for-profit and non-profit management liability products
• Strong project management, negotiation, influencing, legal and analytical skills
• Strong understanding of financial concepts
• Superior understanding of all aspects of underwriting execution, inclusive of policy form development, product filings and interaction with actuaries and reinsurers
• Ability to absorb multi-disciplinary input and translate into effective actions
• Superior communication skills, both oral and written
• Bachelor’s degree, JD preferred
Behaviors at the Hartford:
• Deliver Outcomes – Drive exceptional performance to move the company forward.
• Work as a Team – Collaborate inclusively to achieve the best results.
• Build Strong Partnerships – Create lasting value through trusted relationships.
• Strive for Excellence – Always look for ways to continuously improve.