The Footwear Development Manager oversees the specifications process and the non-apparel and equipment development teams to assure the on-time development, engineering, and accurate specification publication for all products.
This position is accountable for engineering the highest level of producible, innovative and quality products which meet the needs of the Company. This position manages the product development timeline in conjunction with the timelines of the company’s business strategies.
The Development Manager develops products that meet or exceed predetermined gross margin targets, and communicates the specifications and product details to the Sourcing organization and Suppliers.
This position works under general direction and handles products and issues of the highest complexity. The Development Manager works independently but brings a track record of success in managing teams of people and multiple processes.
- Manages the development process of company for non-apparel product lines.
- Creates the specifications for the products, publishes, and maintains all records, style files, and samples associated with the product and related programs.
- Plans and tracks the development schedule of all products to ensure a timely completion following the predetermined product development calendar.
- Ensures both the technical superiority and the product quality/integrity of all products falling under their responsibilities.
- Develops products that meet or exceed predetermined gross margin targets.
- Partners with PA to ensure the superior quality and timely delivery of sales samples each season.
- Partners with Material Sourcing to select new fabrications and processes that go hand in hand with developing innovative and technically superior products each season.
- Interacts with Product Director, Product Manager, Design, Marketing, Sales, and Quality Assurance to distribute product technical details and assure the accuracy, legality, and integrity of all product performance claims.
- Perform these and other duties as assigned.
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS
- 10 years of minimum successful and progressive experience in Development, preferably in the outdoor industry apparel markets.
- BA or BS degree in Business, Sewn Products or Apparel Manufacturing or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong knowledge of the product category assigned.
- Successful project management skills and knowledge of the product cycle and product development timelines.
- Knowledge of materials used to build TNF products.
- Knowledge of the engineering and manufacturing processes used to build TNF products.
- Strong Knowledge of specifications management, product costing, and size/fit/grading (as applicable).
- Intermediate to advanced CAD Drawing skills for technical and construction detail sketches & related art.
- Excellent organizational and strong aptitude for systems and systematic work
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Strong interactive skills.