Knoll is a constellation of design-driven brands and people, working together with our clients to create inspired modern interiors. Since 1938, we've been thinking about how people interact with their environments, and how their environments impact what they do. Our strength in office systems, seating, furniture, textiles, leather, architectural accessories allows us to compose integrated solutions from products and services that naturally work together.
The Sr. Product Development Engineer will have primary responsibility for the accomplishment of detailed designs, specifications, procedures, etc. relating to new product introductions and revised existing products within business focused targets of cost, schedule, performance and aesthetics.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Complete detail design of new and modification to existing seating products, including: Maximization of designs for manufacturability and end user function; Scheduling and leading design reviews; Scheduling and monitoring the results of pilot runs; Defining, scheduling, and analyzing output of test procedures; Initiating and following to conclusion intellectual property activity; Documenting dimensional tolerances, in-process and final product specifications; Provide direction to peers, superiors and subordinates leading to successful completion of all tasks relating to the product development effort.
- Use existing, and define new, productivity and quality tools (PC, CAD, FMEA, DFMEA, etc.) to the maximum benefit of the projects.
- Establish and maintain communication links, formal and informal, with all entities (internal and external) whose performance is dependent, in whole or part, upon the output of the Product Development activity. Working with all functions and teams continuously seek improved techniques to the accomplishment of this element.
- Lead teams, or subsets of teams in activities appropriate to be led by the Product Development function. Participate in teams or subsets of teams on activities that require support of the Product Development function.
- Participate and take appropriate leadership where indicated, in all activities, formal and informal, that will enhance the cost, cycle time, or quality of the seating products being manufactured by Knoll; including those activities which will enhance the quality of work environment and life.
- Lead/Assist in product launches. Coordinate with Manufacturing Engineering, Quality, Safety and Operations to assure process capability, equipment design, and optimum work balancing is ensured prior to program launches.
- Assure integrity of manufacturing processes. Assure the Integrity of manufacturing processes is maintained and improved after product launch by developing ongoing methods, checks and controls to indicate a deviation from established product design parameters.
- Participate as a member of the Product Development Engineering Team. Participate in ongoing development, communication and implementation of team concepts, programs and policies. Coordinate work to ensure best practices with all team members. Attend appropriate team meetings. As a member of the Technical Team, foster strong cohesiveness regarding all major issues; e.g., direction, annual plan, budget, policy changes, etc. Accept responsibility to quickly identify any areas of lack of cohesiveness, bring them to the attention of the team leader and work with the team in a supportive manner to resolve issues effecting cohesiveness. Actively look for ways, and reinforce actions needed, to achieve synergy possible within the larger organization.
- Perform other duties as necessary in support of business objectives. This position description is intended to guide the activities of the Sr. Product Design Engineer. It is not intended to limit the thinking and creativity of the person to the work of this function. Nor is it intended that this describe all the work that may be required of the person in this position.
- Demonstrated skill in the successful design and engineering of complex parts using sheet metal, plastic injection molding, aluminum and plastic extrusions, aluminum and zinc die casting, wood and the processes of joining these.
- Proven familiarity with NEC and UL requirements is desired.
- Proven practice in the successful use of FEA in the design of parts, and the design of test methods, apparatus and protocols to prove structurally capable unique parts/assembly design solutions is desired.
- Ability to troubleshoot, identify the root cause of, and develop and implement effective solutions to problems.
- Ability to develop, communicate and implement product development engineering plans.
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously.
- Ability to effectively communicate, verbally and in writing, to various levels within the organization.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Five plus years in product engineering and design, mechanical engineering design, etc.
- Diverse knowledge of materials, their proper application and advantages / limitations within their various manufacturing methods.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering
We are an Equal Employment opportunity employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, genetic information, veteran status or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law.