The Product Development Engineer plays a central role throughout the different phases of the product life cycle. This position is part of a team responsible for developing and supporting next generation Critical Dimension (CD) metrology systems. The candidate will play a key role in next generation product development, from technology evaluation and selection, specifications development, product validation, verification, transfer to manufacturing, and support of customer ramp. The candidate will maintain ownership of the product through the life cycle and be responsibility for improvement projects and support of field and manufacturing issues. The ideal candidate will demonstrate leadership attributes and be able to lead high performing teams to achieve program objectives in a timely manner.
The engineer must be able to complete the initial diagnosis of any system issue, uncover root cause and devise or drive a team to define solutions for complex problems. Must be able to support the detailed analysis and tradeoffs for the various solutions, develop plan of action, and effectively communicate plan to colleagues to execute. Must have the knowledge and experience to effectively work with experts in optics, electronics, mechanics, software, and algorithms as required to resolve issues. Some travel may be required to support product transition to manufacturing, beta support at customer sites, and for complex cases that require on-site support.
Additional details regarding responsibilities:
- Develop, code in python and/or C#, test, implement and document improvements or new routines to improve the accuracy, repeatability, reliability and the speed of calibrations and diagnostics.
- Conrtibute to error budget analysis and requirements defintiion through modeling of interaction with specimens under test
- Develop concepts and designs for the next generation system and subsystems.
- Resolve inconsistencies between subsystems, conduct trade-off studies, identify high-risk areas, and develop risk mitigation strategies.
- Ownership of creation and execution of prototype test plans for complex subsystems. This will involve integration of subsystems, testing against design tolerances and marketing specifications, analyzing test data, and generation of reports.
- Drive product or feature introduction. This includes preparation of first draft of system alignment, calibration and troubleshooting diagnostics for existing and new products, training of operations and field personnel, and solving technical issues that may impact production introduction.
- Train operations and service and manufacturing employees.
- Drive team to resolve system issues at customer site or in manufacturing. Work with engineers at locations around the globe to solve issues escalated to engineering: establish root cause, develop plan of action (POA), guide local teams in execution of POA, and document issues and solutions to improve design and/or procedures so that they may be implemented across the fleet in a standard manner.
- Will require some travel (< 25%).
- PhD in Physics, Optics, Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, or related technical field.
- Knowledge of scattering/diffraction theory
- Strong programming and scripting skills in Python/Matlab is highly desirable.
- Strong background in engineering or the physical sciences with demonstrated analysis and problem solving skills.
- Hands-on experience constructing and aligning opto-mechanical is highly desirable.
- Ability to communicate effectively to all levels of the division, customers, vendors and across cultures.
- Experience in the semiconductor capital equipment or manufacturing industry is desirable.
Master's degree plus 3 years experience OR Ph.D. degree.