Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and multi industrial leader serving a wide range of customers in more than 150 countries. Our commitment to sustainability dates back to our roots in 1885, with the invention of the first electric room thermostat. We are committed to helping our customers win everywhere, every day and creating greater value for all of our stakeholders through our strategic focus on buildings.
Within the "Air Distribution Products", business of Johnson Controls our capabilities, depth of innovation experience, and global reach have been growing. Today, we offer the world's largest portfolio of building products, technologies, software, and services; we put that portfolio to work to transform the environments where people live, work, learn and play.
What you will do:
As a Product Development Engineer, you will manage product development projects and lead the engineering initiatives for product design. The role is responsible for expanding the VAV terminal unit, fan coil, and air handler product offering. The expanded product offering is installed in a variety of buildings including schools, universities, hotel, and office space. The role offers a hands-on experience developing highly engineered, highly configurable products using a phased product development process.
How you will do it:
- Project Management
- Direct engineering resources (designers, engineers, lab technicians) in the successful execution of new product development programs.
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Establish, manage, and track program deliverables, costs, and schedules.
- Clearly and consistently communicate program status
- Mechanical Engineering
- Conceive and propose new design concepts to engineering team
- Establish specifications and provide designs for product subsystems
- Oversee design FMEAs, design reviews, and pilot runs
- Create test plans for new product development projects
- Evaluate test data and recommend appropriate actions.
- Direct design team for creation of engineering, marketing, manufacturing documentation
- Manage a core technology that is utilized in product
- Identify cost savings ideas
What we look for:
- Minimum 5 years of experience in overall HVAC or equivalent field product design and application with a focus on product design and project management.
- Must have a proven track record of successful project management.
- HVAC experience must be in the fan coil, air handler or VAV segments as a minimum.
- Specific experience in design and application of refrigeration and hydronic cooling and heating systems.
- Fundamental knowledge of water pumping and piping system design.
- Knowledge of fan and blower operation, ductwork design, and air distribution system design.
- Fundamental knowledge of common practices regarding general building construction.
- Experience with common field practices involving the handling, installation, commissioning, operation, and maintenance of HVAC equipment.
- Active or past membership in AHRI or ASHRAE is desired but not required.
- Knowledge of UL / ETL requirements for applicable products.
- Knowledge of designing for manufacturability.
- Competent computer skills including the use of MS Office.
- Cad skills such as AutoCAD are desired but not required.
- Experience in supervising others with a high degree of integrity and trust.
- Ability to work cross-functionally.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills that apply through all levels of the organization.
- Documentation and project management skills must be a strength.
- BS / MS in appropriate discipline (Mechanical, Aerospace, etc.)