The Product Development Engineer is responsible for all aspects of the engineering of School Specialty's proprietary branded furniture that is produced via an outsourced contract manufacturing relationship and will be located in Greenville, WI.
Summary of essential job functions
- Responsible for drafting and maintaining all specifications for components and finished goods for the lines. (The line(s) include all SSI private label branded furniture with the exception of Childcraft products)
- Generate and maintain all 3D models and drawings for the line
- Oversee all testing for new and existing components and finished goods and for all prototypes created during the product development process
- Participate directly with Designers and the Manufacturing Facility during the product development process to assure design, quality, safety, materials and manufacturing process are cohesive for the desired component/finished good outcome
- Coordinate with Designers and Manufacturing Facility to analyze and select proper materials and choose appropriate manufacturing processes
- Lead development of permanent QC standards, testing and reporting processes at initial manufacturing, physical receipt of goods and FG's assembly prior to shipping
- Work with SSI Program Manager Manufactures and AIS/Cameron facility to review and establish packaging materials and guidelines for all inbound and outbound shipments
- Execute all ECO's with Manufactures and AIS/Cameron facility
- Exercises care within work environment to prevent injuries. Support and follow all company safety policies and procedures.
- Other responsibilities that may arise as a result of the needs of the position
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or equivalent experience in product engineering
- 5+ years working in manufacturing and production engineering
- Experience with Lean/Six Sigma manufacturing principles and contract manufacturing preferred
- Must be proficient in some 3D CAD engineering computer programs such as SolidWorks, Pro/Engineer, Catia, Solid Edge, Autodesk Inventor or similar
- Ability to do FEA (Finite Element Analysis)
- Experience and knowledge in various plastic molding materials and processes
- Experience and knowledge in the metal fabricating process
- General understanding of manufacturing and assembly operations
- Experience with Oracle E-Business Suite or another major ERP System
- Experience analyzing and solving business problems, with and without the use of Technology
- Word, Outlook and Excel a must.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to analyze data and draw conclusions