At Berry, we pursue excellence in all that we do and are always advancing to improve the way we work along with the products and services we provide. Our culture fosters trust and partnerships through appreciation, acknowledgement, and inclusion. At Berry, we are continuously improving to support our mission and exemplify our values of partnerships, excellence, growth, and safety. To learn more about Berry, visit berryglobal.com
As a member of the Product Development team, the Product Development Engineer will have responsibility for all technical aspects of a development project from the point of research to full production capability including all milestones, product and performance specifications, as well as project budget and schedule on appointed stages. This position will work closely with Customers, Sales, Blue Clover, Design Engineers, Project Managers, R&D, Manufacturing and Commercial Development to develop next generation products that will ultimately lead to profitability and growth.
- Lead the development of new products from design through proof of principle and full unit tool validation including development of the project scope, design requirements, DFMEA, IP clearance searches, patent filings, sample and test plan, metrology verification, procurement of all test fixtures and gages, risk assessments / FMEA, support customer testing / line trials, and develop product specifications. In some cases, projects will be led by the Product Development Engineer through full commercialization or through a smooth transition to the Project Management Office (PMO).
- Has responsibility and authority for the development, execution, and maintenance of a current project plan and decisions regarding the project within the overall envelope of approved time, cost and scope; can propose changes in strategy, approach or activity definitions to accomplish the same results within the same window.
- Responsible for oversight of the product design, including leading the initial ideation / brainstorming sessions, competitive analysis, documenting design requirements, DFMEA, lead design reviews in conjunction with the Design Engineer, and insure customer and team signoff on the design.
- Evaluation of the technologies required for the development and manufacturing.
- Coordinate the Technical Development Plan that outlines all the details necessary for the Product Line Manager to respond to an RFQ or create a Business Case, including all cost inputs and capital equipment costs.
- Ensure the design is vetted through the appropriate analytical tools like FEA, MoldFlow, Etc... to insure functionality and moldability with minimal steel iterations.
- Lead technical communication with customer and/or internal stakeholders in the early stages of the project, including consultation on what is possible, presentations of design options / technical solutions, development cost, development time, and risks, either directly or through the Account Manager.
- Ensure the product design meets all cost targets, performance requirements, and dimensional specifications.
- Responsible for maintaining, tracking, and meeting the development budget.
- Must be assertive, creative and data driven to keep projects on time and within budget to meet deliverables.
- Responsible for reporting deviations on time, cost, and deliverable project components to senior management as project progresses.
- Responsible for adherence to Berry, industry, and/or regulatory procedures as well as Management of Change, Stage Gate, and ISO processes.
- Support Customers, Manufacturing and Quality as the technical expert on product maintenance and CIO’s.
- Meeting product cost targets for cycle time and gram weight
- Meeting all performance requirements
- CIO’s to be measured by CIO $’s on new product launches to $0 within first 3 months of launch, adjusting for CIO's with root causes that are unrelated to the part design and part performance.
The ideal candidate would have experience in product development, closure (preferable tamper evident), beverage industry, carbonated soft drink, compression molding, and injection molding.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Polymer Science or equivalent experience
- 5 years’ experience with injection and/or compression molding
- Ability to travel as needed (20-50%)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge in statistical methods and programs (SPC/DOE/MiniTab)
- Self-motivated individual
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, be a proactive thinker, and be results-oriented
- Project Management experience a plus
- Strong organizational skills with proven ability to complete multiple tasks simultaneously
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills are required for data driven decisions