Product Development Director
The Product Development Director is responsible for leading the planning and execution of the company's product roadmaps and has significant input into the architecture, usability, content, and design of Travelzoo's products as well as leading global and regional implementations. The Product Development Director reports to the Chief Technology Officer (CTO) and partners directly with country General Managers and regional Heads of Production, Publishing, and Customer Service.
Essential responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Interpret and translate amorphous concepts into detailed product specifications and architecture
- Lead the planning and execution of the product roadmap, incorporating effective change management practices and protocols
- Implement and leverage a robust project management methodology to efficiently lead and coordinate the product development program of work
- Design and architect high-quality products that deliver an exceptional user experience for our members
- Enable and promote a culture of innovation and continuous improvement to ensure Travelzoo's product offerings are creative and market-leading
- Ensure the daily operations consistently deliver value and fulfill the needs of our internal and external stakeholders
- Proactively anticipate and prepare for managing competing demands and expectations, leveraging best practice workflow and process management methodologies
- Align and execute product strategies and roadmaps in collaboration with IT/ Engineering and other departments
- Closely collaborate with all General Managers to understand the product needs of their respective markets
- Develop and maintain highly productive relationships with external vendors and partners, including contract negotiation and vendor performance management
- Influence and inspire engineering teams by providing clear frameworks and work processes to drive efficiency and performance
- Support the development of a healthy internal culture that retains vital employees and encourages their professional development
- Regular cross-functional collaboration with other departments
- Participate in talent acquisition, employer branding and talent development programs in partnership with Human Resources
Key requirements include but are not limited to:
- Bachelors degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Economics, Finance, Engineering, Computer science or equivalent
- Relevant work experience of approximately seven to 10 years in Product Management or Project/Program Management
- Solid understanding of software engineering and architecture fundamentals, able to anticipate and understand technology and function as a product builder
- Ability to coordinate and manage content, product, usability, and design
- Knowledge of Kanban or other JIT methodologies
- Highly developed analytical capabilities and data-driven decision-making
- Demonstrated skill and expertise to navigate in a global matrix organization
- Excellent communication, relationship building, and influence skills
- Strong leadership capability and an empathetic, hands-on and innovative working style
- Ability to think creatively with a committed "members first" focus, having an innate understanding of how to leverage technology to create an exciting, relevant experience for our members
- Sound commercial acumen with proven strength in delivering value and strong ROI
- An entrepreneurial mindset and the ability to identify new or hidden opportunities
Success factors include but are not limited to:
- Ambition –self-motivated, and hardworking; a strong sense of urgency and drive for success.
- Business Acumen – demonstrates a keen focus on what makes good business sense.
- Commercial Awareness – understands current trends, issues, and opportunities.
- Communication – articulates complex information with confidence and clarity.
- Curiosity – shows a natural inquisitiveness, investigative, and highly curious mindset.
- Creativity – apply creative and innovative thinking to problem-solving and ideation.
- Decision Making – makes decisions with insightful, educated logic and a results-oriented focus.
- Ethics – embody the highest ethical standards, committed to conducting fair and ethical business.
- Executive Presence – possess gravitas and confidence, credible disposition, worthy of respect.
- Global-mindedness – demonstrate a global perspective, passion for international travel, and business.
- Inclusivity – enable and promote diversity, encourages participation and collaboration.
- Leadership – understands how to lead through influence and inspiration.
- Results Orientation – focuses on outcomes and understands how to deliver high-quality results
- Teamwork –collaborates to foster win-win outcomes and mutually beneficial relationships.