Who is Allbirds?
At Allbirds, we believe in using business as a force for good. We’re a global footwear and apparel brand with roots in New Zealand and our headquarters in San Francisco. Since 2016, we’ve been on a mission to prove that comfort, design, and sustainability aren’t mutually exclusive. Our commitment to creating better things in a better way is fueled by a belief that the fashion industry needs to focus less on flash and more on thoughtfulness. And as a certified B Corp, we’re dedicated to making the most sustainable products we can using premium natural materials - designed for life’s everyday adventures.
Where we need help
The Allbirds PD team is looking for an experienced Product Developer (Footwear) to join the team! The candidate must possess strong development skills with a proven track record of developing and commercializing footwear. We’d like for someone to bring new ideas to the table each launch sequence while also conducting in-line product research and leading the charge on our continuous improvement initiative.
What does the job entail?
- Execute and manage in-line new footwear development and continuous improvement projects to meet the goals of Allbirds product strategy.
- Work closely with Design to create tech packs for prototyping + communicate with factory representatives, while keeping meticulous details in the PLM system and managing timelines.
- Provide direction and thought partnership to all cross functional team and factory partners.
- Achieve product performance and sustainability goals including use of preferred materials, natural materials, and carbon targets for each project.
- Demonstrate a strong technical understanding of footwear materials, construction techniques & applications relative to development execution.
- Successful development of seasonal products achieving comfort, performance and sustainability targets for the Allbirds brand.
- Bring to life new materials and innovations driving the future of sustainable products in the world.
What kind of person are we looking for?
- At least 3 years of experience in footwear development
- Be a key player in executing the product development process
- Manage project calendars with Allbirds Design, Commercialization and Supply Chain teams as well as factory partners
- Ability to critically think and creatively solve complex problems with an eye for footwear construction details
- Self starter capable of executing complex tasks without the need for in depth oversight
- Provide creative direction, technical direction and problem solving throughout the product creation process
- Process and systems improvements as we continue to grow and scale our operations.
- Well versed in supply chain operations, sourcing & procurement
- Able to review detailed product costs and knowledge of surgical cost reduction without sacrificing product quality
- Willing and able to travel within the US and overseas 4-6 times per year as needed
- Experience working and communicating with overseas vendors
- Experience working with sustainability and/or natural materials a plus
- Experience with flat knitting, engineered knits and knitting infrastructure specific to footwear
- Working knowledge and understanding of each stage of footwear manufacturing processes
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, adapt to changing demands, and make quick yet well thought out decisions will be essential in this role
- Can do attitude and great sense of humor
More practical skills needed:
- BA/BS or equivalent
- Expert in Microsoft Office and Google Drive
- Advanced Excel skills
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and Asana a plus
What can we offer?
- Competitive salary + equity
- Medical/Dental/Vision insurance
- 401k employer match
- Paid parental leave
- Fitness benefits
- Discounted products
- Pup friendly office!