Who we are:
MasterClass is transforming online education by enabling anyone in the world to learn from the very best. We are deconstructing what makes an actor able to cry on demand, how an athlete defies gravity, and what it takes to write a bestseller. Our online learning content is available to students anywhere anytime, which supports our mission to ignite the greatness in others.
We are a quickly growing VC-funded startup based in San Francisco, with additional offices in Los Angeles. We have created online classes taught by famous masters— Gordon Ramsay, Serena Williams, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Sara Blakely, David Sedaris, Bobbi Brown, Timbaland, Anna Wintour and many more to come.
Since launching in 2015, we have been growing our team. Apply now to find out more about what we are doing behind the scenes.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Manage and develop a team of designers, including setting clear goals, managing project loads and allocating designers accordingly, ensuring deadlines are met and setting up team members for overall success.
- Give feedback in design critiques, coach the team through design and UX decisions, make strategic decisions with your peers in Product and Engineering
- Collaborate cross-functionally with product management, engineering, data science, content and creative teams to develop strategy across the product areas owned by the designers on your team.
- Grow the design team by attracting, vetting, and onboarding new talent.
- Set a high bar for execution, quality, communication, and the responsibility of your team members.
- Seek and offer candid and constructive feedback, and lean into conflict with curiosity, humility, and a willingness to understand.
- 10+ years of relevant industry experience, 4+ years of people management on a design team
- You are passionate about building inclusive design practices and making space for diverse viewpoints and working styles
- You have a demonstrated passion for educating and mentoring others
- You have a transparent, candid and constructive approach to feedback with a keen ability to spot/discuss development areas early
- Excellent at providing thoughtful, direct, and clear design feedback
- Able to understand the business impact of design decisions and drive meaningful product value
- You are a great advocate, evangelist, and listener - and are comfortable directly engaging peers, stakeholders, executives, and users
- You have a portfolio of relevant design work, performed either by yourself or a team that you led, that conveys an ability to ship products that people love with measurable success metrics
- You are able to provide a brief explanation in your application of why you are excellent for this role (cover letter)