Founded in 2012 and based in San Francisco, Shaper is developing a revolutionary line of computer-augmented power tools, starting with a handheld CNC router called Origin. We're looking for an exceptional Product Design Engineer (mechanical) with five or more years of experience to join our Hardware team.
About this role
We're looking for an experienced mechanical product design engineer to help us create, develop and maintain our suite of accessories. You'll be responsible for integrating the various cross-functional requirements, managing CM & JDM relationships and owning all aspects of development for our accessories. Not only will you be designing amazing solutions, but also helping implement them in a mid to high production volume manufacturing setting. This is a role for someone who is passionate about the details.
Where You'll Work
You'll join our team in our new workspace in San Francisco's SoMa district. You'll have access to our 5000 square foot workshop which is fully kitted out with all the woodworking machinery you could ever wish for (including Origin).
- Conceptualize, design, build and test new hardware and accessories
- Drive product requirements and translate to engineering and testing requirements
- Serve as the technical owner and lead for the program from initial concept to production
- Manage JDM and CM partners
- Work cross-functionally with Design, Product Management, Project Management during all phases of product development
- Communicate ideas clearly and design specifications through prototypes, sketches, slides, 2D and 3D drawings and written documentation
- Work closely with external resources and suppliers to drive on-time delivery of components and devices
- Create and facilitate Design of Experiments (DOE's) on various mechanical systems
- Use the products you design and build - because you want to!
- BSME required, MS preferred. Or blow us away with equivalent knowledge
- You have 5+ years of product development experience in consumer facing products/industry, shipping products into consumers hands
- You have strong rapid prototyping, concept development, and concept communication skills
- You are experienced in product and process validation - both specification and execution; e.g. shock/drop, environmental
- You have 3D CAD fluency (CREO Parametric preferred) and are familiar with master modeling techniques
- You are passionate about quality and reliability
- You have experience with simple and complex manufacturing processes including injection molding, stamping, forming, casting, MIM, CNC machining, final assembly
- You have strong analytical/problem solving skills and ability to use statistical tools and techniques
- You have excellent communication skills
- You have experience generating precise 2D drawings for execution excellence with traditional tolerancing and GD&T
- You have experience working with domestic & overseas manufacturers
- You have On-site FATP (final assembly, test, and pack) experience in a contract manufacturing setting
- You have strong project management skills
- You're excited to explore an entirely new field and develop products that real users will depend on!
- You have CNC-routing or other subtractive manufacturing experience
- You have hands-on experience with shop tools and building
- You have power tool design and manufacturing experience
- You like to teach