As a Product Design Engineer, you'll be at the leading edge of product development to seamlessly blend the properties of the soft good industry with the technical wizardry of Jacquard by Google. You'll use your knowledge and creative talent to set the direction of future soft goods augmented with Jacquard, and drive development by working with leading fashion and apparel brands. You will participate in the design, analysis, and prototyping of new concepts. You'll also work in a manufacturing and product oriented development environment and collaborate with vendors and outside sources in order to see parts through to manufacture.
One of the driving forces of innovation at Google is our Advanced Technologies and Projects (ATAP) team. ATAP is a fast-paced, solution-oriented group developing and executing projects at the point where emerging science/technology trends meet consumer needs, products and services. Googlers working on ATAP projects will create demonstrations and user experiences that appear magical, simple and wondrous—and deliver at lightning speeds.
- Manage the subsystem and/or individual part designs from concept to production.
- Oversee supplier/partners of subsystems and/or individual part design from concept to production.
- Identify cause design issues to improve designs to successfully guide products to mass production.
- Design for function, reliability, human factors, manufacturability and cosmetic requirements.
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering, Product Design, or related field or equivalent practical experience.
- 5 years of work experience with consumer and handheld product design.
- Experience with CAD tools (PTC Creo) and mechanical simulation tools.
- Experience in Mechanical Engineering across multiple related areas such as plastic injection molding, sheet metal, extrusion and die casting.
- MSdegree in Mechanical Engineering, Product Design, or related field or equivalent practical experience.
- 10 years of relevant work experience.
- Soft goods experience and/or wearable device experience.
- Experience collaborating cross-functionally with industrial design, electrical engineering, and operations teams.
- Experience with fabrication.