PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Owens Corning Thermafiber® brand is uniquely positioned to grow in the industrial insulation space, through new capacity and new capabilities. The Industrial Insulation Product and Program Leader will lead the portfolio strategy for this segment, one in which Owens Corning is just beginning to penetrate. Responsible for product development strategies in this segment, this leader will be accountable for directing the activities of a matrix organization to capture unique market insights and transform into strategic opportunities for growth. The significant growth expectation for mineral wool in this segment relies heavily upon partnership and alignment in channel strategy with an existing fiberglass pipe and mechanical business as well as the recently-acquired Foamglas® business.
Responsibilities include management of the product portfolio, contribution to the near and long term operating plan for product line success, monitoring customer feedback, and monitoring market conditions. The position will also require substantially contributing to business strategy by transforming customer and market quantitative data into plans and projects that penetrate markets, increase market share, and grow top and bottom lines. The Product and Program Leader models teamwork across the Insulation business and must be effective leading teams in a matrix organization.
Join an organization that believes that every employee owns a piece of our bold growth goals and ultimate success. We are a market-leading innovator that has placed on the Fortune 500®. Owens Corning is devoted to delivering sustainable solutions across our three business segments while striving to ensure our people and products make the world a better place. We take pride in having an inclusive and diverse workplace with employees around the globe. A holistic sense of community exists across our entire organization as our talent grows globally. We are a company that fully recognizes the importance of paving a path to a sustainable and safe enterprise through investing in our people. Our desire to make an impactful difference in the world flows from top down to all levels of the organization. By being a company that instills pride within each and every employee, we aspire to build market-leading businesses; global in scope - human in scale.
Reports to: Director of Products & Programs, Mechanical Insulation and Mineral Wool
Span of Control: This position may have the following direct report: Associate Product Manager, Strategy Analyst Development Program participant (SADP), and/or Strategic MarketingIntern.
Develop Mineral Wool Industrial Growth Strategy
The Product and Program Leader will be accountable for contributing to strategy and business planning including:
- Recommend a portfolio of industrial insulation systems/solutions and go-to-market strategies for adoption
- Business objectives for immediate and mid-term (3-5 year) timeframe relative to product marketing including customer, end user, channel and competitive dynamics, and geographic considerations (local, regional, national, international)
- Product positioning, packaging, placement, pricing, investments, channel management, customer and sales force engagement and alignment, and engagement of key external influencers, e.g., engineers, specifiers, contractors, distributors, fabricators.
- Recommend, as appropriate, opportunities to expand beyond mineral wool to drive growth for Owens Corning
- Environmental analysis that includes:
- Economic impact on a national (US) and international (if applicable) basis.
- Market trends, competitor strategies and customer needs.
- Un-met needs of customers and market as identified in partnership with marketing insights group and resultant opportunity for products in our business segments.
- In partnership with marketing insight group, an analysis of competition which identifies competitive advantages, disadvantages and company strengths and weaknesses.
- An analysis of external and execution risks and their potential impact on Product results and definition of a mitigation plan which addresses risks with identified actions.
- Resource requirements and investments including budget development and planning required to achieve the financial plan.
- Innovation: Leads successful commercialization of extensions to and new products/services. Teams cross-functionally across Marketing, Science & Technology, Finance, Operations and Supply Chain to accomplish.
- Partner with marketing communications to develop and execute integrated marketing programs that drive the desired behavior changes our strategic targets.
- Ongoing market assessment to identify mix, customer trends and margin drivers along with associated business recommendations.
- Measuring, tracking and reporting Program ROI and EBIT to Insulation leadership
- Consistently drives products and programs to improve cost structure at all levels.
- Establishes and continuously improves gross margin contribution on core products and programs including developmental oversight of products and programs and investments required to drive demand (supported by business case and tracking metrics.)
- Inspires organization and partners with leader to structure it to deliver strategic objectives and supporting goals.
- Influences industry thought leaders and channel partners for successful execution of Product strategy.
Ensure market and channel influence is driving growth strategy
- Leverage in-depth knowledge of customers, products, markets, channels, and competitors to align strategies and drive growth in all points of distribution
- Coordination across Engineered Insulation Systems and Foamglas® sales and pricing organizations to ensure we have the right insights into industrial insulation markets and customers
- Limit channel conflict by ensuring coordination of product positioning, messaging, pricing and promotions to ensure the business delivers on its revenue and price attainment goals
- Develop tools and resources to enhance effectiveness of sales and marketing activities
- Align channel strategies to exploit the strengths of the product portfolio, geographic coverage and service capabilities
Leading the Mineral Wool Business
- Teaming: Creates teamwork across staff functions (including marketing, sales, operations, supply chain, science & technology, and finance) and other business groups to maximize performance of products and programs business model from concept to commercialization, and development of people.
- Is an effective member of the mineral wool leadership team and acts as a member of the EIS Sales team.
- Is regarded by employees of Owens Corning as a role model for their growth, development and conduct.
- Communicates business strategy and performance to external constituents (customers, industry) effectively and engages them in the vision of the business.
Directing Product-related Operations
- Lead product SKU performance, rationalization, forecasting and inventory requirements in partnership with finance, sales and operations teams.
- Partners with leader to lead monthly Sales & Operations Planning process. Provides forecasting market modeling, inventory and working capital requirements as inputs for the products and programs for successful execution of S & OP process.
- Develops, communicates and leads annual operating plan for products and programs consistent with near-term requirements for financial and non-financial performance and long-term strategic requirements.
- Monitors market data and customer feedback (from marketing insight group) for changes in market conditions and/or competitive behavior.
- Partners with leader to utilize business and management reviews and continuous operational oversight to respond to external conditions at that time and drive business performance.
- Establishes clear and appropriate operating authority on critical performance drivers (e.g., pricing, operations/capacity planning)
- Demonstrates OC values, safety, business ethics and law, and financial controls requirements.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree; MBA preferred
- 5+ years of Brand/Product Management experience, construction materials segment preferred
- P&L management experience
- Successfully executing full product / service management including positioning, pricing strategy, margin management, investments, and channel management.
- Developing and marketing new products and services; attracting new customers.
- Demonstrated quantitative capabilities, including financial, statistical and predictive modeling.
- Increasing margins through management of mix, cost and price.
- Proven ability to influence sales organizations to act and achieve goals
- Experience with segmentation and defining strategic brand/product targets
- Collaboration with top customers to develop mutually beneficial growth plans
- Gaining customer, market and competitive insight.
- Development of successful internal and external relationships (including with, research & development, operations, finance, sales and external suppliers is highly desired.)
- Flexibility to travel up to 50% of time
- Operating across geographic and cultural boundaries
- Delivering rapid improvement in an organization.
- Participating in the development of strategic plans.
- Three-plus years working in marketing or strategic consulting.
- Two-plus years of direct, customer-facing work experience.
- Demonstrated ability to consistently meet or beat high bar targets and deadlines.
- Development of successful relationships with suppliers and co-marketing partners, highlydesired.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Leadership Accountabilities Manager competencies – Managing the Business - competes on analytics, creativity, customer driven, operational planning – Building and Leading Teams - all about talent, inspiration, performance management, self-knowledge
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to structure executive communications
- Customer, market and competitive insight
- Influences effectively and sustainably with and without authority
- Develops & leverages internal & external relationships. Thinks strategically & drives change, action & results
- Excellent written and oral communication skills including presentations to large and diverse audiences
- Business and financial acumen-knows the P&L
- Advanced Microsoft Excel and Powerpoint skills.
- Attracting, developing and retaining outstanding talent;
- Self-motivated, strong initiative
- Works best through others – enrolls and influences others
- Values independent thinking
- Develops strategic relationships naturally
- Is innovative and loves a challenge
- Approachable, coachable and open to feedback
- Conducts himself/herself with the highest ethical and moral standards.
- Intelligent, creative, analytical.
- Behaves in a mature and appropriate manner. Shows good judgment, does not allow feeling or biases to distract reasoning, does not rationalize failures.
- Freely states opinions and feelings. Expresses him/her self directly and candidly.