Newsy is hiring a Producer/Host for our new morning show, The Day Ahead. The show producer/host participates in all aspects of production of The Day Ahead newscasts including generating ideas for segments, conducting interviews, writing and reporting, anchoring the show and supporting the production of content under the The Why brand across platforms. The role serves as a public representative of The Why and of Newsy.
- Serves as writer and anchor of the show
- Develops and executes ideas for segments and video for the show
- Conceives, proposes, plans and researches ideas for the show
- Participates and helps guide planning meetings, suggesting ideas for stories, guests, and new approaches to telling stories
- Works with Executive Producer and Supervising Producer to ensure that material is planned and assigned in advance
- Conducts research and proposes ideas and interviews
- Conducts interviews and works with producers and editors to gather other elements for show production
- May supervise reporters, producers and videographers assigned to the show.
- Maintains and develops news sources
- Works in full compliance with Newsy's editorial/journalism standards and ethics.
- Participates in any other production necessary for show
- Serves as a public representative of The Why and Newsy, records promotional material for The Why and Newsy, makes personal appearances as assigned
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Education & Experience/Certifications
- Minimum of 5 years' experience as a journalist or equivalent experience. Experience in broadcast or digitalreporting, hosting and production preferred
- At least 3 years' experience covering national news including work on:
- Daily news stories
- Feature reports including the development of topics and the organization and presentation of longer stories
Skills & Abilities
- Significant knowledge and experience covering national social issues top of mind in the news cycle, including a proven ability to translate complicated concepts for audiences across platforms.
- Thorough knowledge of news and feature reporting techniques.
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline
- Ability and willingness to collaborate with otherreporters, producers and media partners
- A creative mind, and a keen understanding of the Scripps mission. A team player. Willingness to learn new skills and help lead the staff in innovation and creative approaches to reaching the audience
- Ability to manage personnel assignments, daily expectations and review performance of direct reports