Position Scope/Decision Making Authority
Oversees the execution of end-to-end procurement process for a geographic area. Develops locally led spending plans, integrates sourcing activities with capital, monitors cost savings and assesses procurement process performance.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Coaching and Managing POST Team: Providing direction and coaching to buyers.
- Relationship Management: Working with Area Operations Managers and Plants Managers to set priorities, identify and execute savings efforts.
- Field Visits: Spending quality time at the plants in assigned area to ensure that the procurement process is being executed and plant managers are receiving a high level of customer service.
- Strategic Sourcing: Develops plans, runs analysis, “finds the savings”, creates a strategy and spends time with suppliers to execute strategy and negotiate pricing.
- Continuous Improvement: Working on company-wide initiatives to improve the procurement function..
- Implementing Vulcan Way of Buying: Responsible for implementing and driving the new process and technology for the Vulcan Way of Buying within area of responsibility.
- Process Management: Oversees the execution of the end -to-end procurement process from need identification through payment. Able to rectify any issues that may occur.
Education, Experience, Skills Required:
Education: BS Degree or equivalent experience in field.
Experience: 5-7 years experience in procurement leadership position(s) and computerized payables. Strong knowledge of procurement practices is required. Experience working directly with senior management up to Area Manager. Strong knowledge of aggregate, asphalt and ready mix operations and maintenance experience is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Respected by Operations Leaders -- demonstrates a collaborative working style
- Ability to develop relationships with internal customers across a large geographic location
- Drives continuous improvement with operating partners
- Knowledge of operations and procurement practices with understanding of the ‘source to procurement to pay’ process
- Enjoys developing talent, takes pride in coaching and providing developmental opportunities to high potential employees
- Customer service oriented: open to and willing to act upon feedback
- Negotiating skills, including the ability to communicate with multiple levels internal and external to the organization
- Strong communicator; understands and clearly communicates a vision, stretch goals, and a larger sense of purpose and mission to team
- Coaches, motivates, and develops people; enjoys developing talent, coaching and providing developmental opportunities to employees
- Balances collaborative decision-making with a strong sense of urgency
- Balances confidence with humility, maintains high levels of self-awareness
- Models the “Vulcan Leadership Model”
- Champions and drives team success while maintaining enterprise-level perspective