Laird Superfood was founded in 2015 in partnership with the world’s most prolific big-wave surfer, Laird Hamilton. Since then Laird’s passion project to perfect his personal regimen has evolved into a dynamic, innovative brand with a purpose-driven and people-focused mission. We believe better food leads to a better world. We seek to provide great-tasting, high-quality, plant-based products that are healthy, convenient, affordable, and available to all.
The Procurement Manager is responsible for leading a team and executing the development and implementation of procurement strategies for our fast-growing company. This is a “player-coach” role both overseeing and delivering on vendor sourcing strategy, contract compliance, price negotiation, performance evaluations, and supplier development to meet both improved sustainability and quality standards. The successful candidate will have demonstrated leadership working cross functionally with Manufacturing, Planning, Quality, Finance, Marketing and external suppliers to identify and drive security of supply, innovation and process improvement, and total cost savings.
- Build and manage a team focused on processes that enable security of supply, supplier quality, working capital metrics, and a laser focus on supporting aggressive growth objectives
- Ensure team aggressively operates to ensure supply chain continuity with well-developed reporting and proactive raw material and packaging procurement
- Develop in depth commodity expertise with a strong understanding of global market dynamics and trends to execute department strategy
- Manage and develop short, medium, and long-term sourcing strategies for various ingredient categories
- Ensure that any at-risk materials, both on-hand and contracted, are effectively mitigated by means of modified production schedules, supplier negotiation, secondary market sales, etc.
- Develop and manage processes associated with RFQ, selection, qualification and ongoing performance management of suppliers
- Oversee and ensure co-packing relationships are delivering expected results in terms of timing, cost, and quality
- Identify and lead productivity projects to deliver efficiencies and savings to the business
- Create and maintain internal reports, which may include: pricing forecasts, supplier risk mapping, productivity tracking, etc.
- Identify areas of risk and drive mitigation plans with cross functional collaboration
- Coordinate cross functional approval and selection process for new supplier activation between QA/Compliance and R&D
- Ensure that procurement processes and procedures associated with the category are compliant with the highest level of internal controls
- 7+ years’ experience in Procurement in food or beverage industry with demonstrated experience in contract negotiation and administration, quality assurance, and procurement management
- Minimum 3 years of people management experience
- Strong negotiation and contract skills, strong Supplier Management Skills.
- Advanced experience in ERP systems (Netsuite a big plus!)
- Demonstrated experience making trade offs between product requirements, reliability, total cost, environmental factors, and risk management when making strategic supplier selection decisions
- Comfortable working in a fast paced and entrepreneurial environment where things change rapidly
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; demonstrated business acumen
- International experience is desirable
- A passion for Laird Superfood’s vision, mission, and values!
Laird Superfood is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.