The primary responsibility of this individual will be to provide process design and process engineering support for the Company’s Ammonia Production initiatives. This position will lead early process studies, technology evaluations and overall project development initiatives through application of experience in process design and technology implementation, with specific focus on the ammonia and syngas industry.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Lead the development and completion of process engineering deliverables on large-size projects with minimal supervision. Process engineering scope includes all phases of design development, from conceptual engineering, through front-end and detailed engineering, and including field support of startup and performance testing efforts.
- Provide technical oversight of assigned projects from early Front-End Planning (FEP) through detailed design and construction.
- Effectively create and evaluate design deliverables such as: Process Design Basis, philosophy documents, process simulations, heat and material balances, PFDs, P&IDs (piping & instrumentation diagrams), equipment Process data sheets and engineering calculations including hydraulics, initial equipment sizing, required over-pressure load calculations, control valve rating, dynamic depressuring analyses, and performance flow curves.
- Work with Business Development and Projects to provide cost/benefit analysis of technical options and provide technical expertise in the evaluation of hydrogen and/or ammonia production technologies.
- Plan, organize and direct the execution of feasibility studies, technology evaluations, and conceptual designs as required to support projects or initiatives.
- Assists in development of work scope and execution of FEED studies. Provide recommendations based on the outcome of FEED studies.
- Serves as technical resource and point of contact for external or internal customers.
- Provide process engineering oversight during detail design.
- Coordinate with project management, EPC firm, and various engineering disciplines to ensure coordinated efforts in project design and execution.
- Lead the identification of changes to the scope of work during project execution.
- Perform complex calculations and applies company and industry standards.
- Identify creative design solutions that optimize project capital or operating costs, equipment reliability, or project schedule.
- Manage and support the quality review process for assigned projects, including the feasibility or soundness of proposed plans.
- Provide technical support to assist in developing and maintaining a Process Safety Management (PSM) program for decarbonization facilities.
- Assist and troubleshoot during commissioning, startup, and operation of facilities.
- Provide training to plant operations personnel on environmental impact, safety implications of processes & chemicals, maintaining process reliability, and proper operating practices and procedures to contribute to optimum plant performance and safe operation.
- Develop the technical abilities of less experienced engineers during the execution of projects; Provides guidance, leadership, and training to less experienced engineers
- Regularly perform reviews of vendor documents to ensure technical requirements are met.
- Other daily, weekly, monthly or special project duties as identified and defined.
- Bachelor's degree in chemical engineering or related field from an accredited program.
- Minimum 15 years related experience in design engineering or consulting required. Previous Engineering & Construction (E&C) experience is preferred.
- Expert knowledge of process industry design concepts and best practices specific to the ammonia industry.
- Proficient in front-end design, detailed design, and field support of projects in Ammonia, Methanol, Syngas, Gasification, or Hydrogen.
- Knowledge and 15+ yrs experience in the use of process simulators, such as ASPEN, HYSYS, UNISYS, Pro II and ProMax.
- Strong grasp of chemical engineering principles and process engineering that provide a solid fundamental approach to the process design.
- Experience acting as owners engineer for large scale facilities through the life of the project
- Experience leading Front End Planning, detailed design and construction on process facility projects preferred.
- Advanced degree and/or professional designations (Professional Engineer license) are desirable.
- Proficiency in the use of process technical tools and software including process simulators and equipment rating programs.
- Proficiency with MS Office applications that may include but are not limited to Excel, Word, Access, PowerPoint, MS Project, and Outlook.
Certifications, Licenses & Registrations:
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and a driving record satisfactory to the company and its insurers (for travel).
- Knowledge of industry’s regulatory compliance issues and standards.
Competencies, Skills & Abilities:
- Possesses critical analytical skills and is adept at utilizing good decision making.
- Able to complete work assignments with minimal supervision in an acceptable timeframe.
- Must be able to take direction from supervisor(s), keep required work schedule, focus attention on details, and follow work rules.
- Strong focus on safe work practices and design.
- Plan, schedule, manage, and report on multiple projects with various deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Works collaboratively within a team and across departments.
- Aptitude and interest in learning and leveraging new programs to accomplish tasks.
- Must be able to perform all essential and marginal functions of the job.
- Promote the Company’s Code of Business Conduct and Ethics.
- Deal with a wide variety of people with tact, courtesy, and professionalism.
- Speak clearly, both in person and by telephone, and listen carefully.
- Maintain a regular, dependable attendance and a consistently high-level of performance.
- Maintain very high regard for personal safety, for the safety of company assets and employees, and the general public.
All the physical requirements listed below are those that may be necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made for individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Sitting; standing; walking or moving throughout facility; driving; talking; seeing (specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus); hearing; feeling; bending or stooping; squatting or crouching; reaching; kneeling; pushing; pulling.
- Must be able to climb to and work from elevated platforms, ladders and walkways
- Must be able to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions, climb vertical access ladders and stairwells, carry up to 50 pounds and to see, hear, walk and talk effectively.
- Must be able to sit for prolonged periods of time.
- The employee is regularly required to use hands to type, touch, handle, or feel. The employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk and climb or balance. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Will work non-traditional hours as needed.
- This is a full-time position.
- Essentially indoors but must be able to work outdoors in project & maintenance activities.
- Travel from 20% of time to engineering offices, field sites and company offices with occasional overnight stays.
- May be required to carry a cell phone and be available to respond during working and non-working hours.
- Candidates will be required to clear a drug screen and a complete background check, including credit report for certain positions, after an offer has been extended and prior to being employed.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed. This position may perform other duties as assigned.
Tallgrass is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered for positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, citizenship status, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, or any other legally protected status. EOE/M/F/D/V.