About the role
The Principal Scientist – Fermentation is responsible for supporting current and future production needs through process optimization, assist with toll production and evaluation of new technologies. You will lead and participate in proactive and reactive fermented ingredient product and process technology projects, coordinate product introductions & commercialization, lead and participate on innovative interdepartmental and global teams with a key focus on yield and economic improvement initiatives.
We will count on you to improve existing bacterial production strains and their respective fermentation processes as well as lead the technology transfer from R&D to manufacturing and providing troubleshooting support at our production site in Rochester, MN, as well as third-party sites.
- Lead yield / process improvement optimization of existing production processes to maximize the capacity for the Rochester site. Design and conduct experiments, set clear priorities, goals and objectives for multi-disciplinary cross-functional project teams.
- Develop cost efficient robust recipes, processes and application stability through a thorough understanding of product design and the fundamental biochemical interactions occurring in the process.
- Mentor fellow Process Scientists and Engineers, and RD&A Scientists by providing clear technical and scientific guidance.
- Assist Quality group in the resolution of technical issues, assist with training on products/processes, audit of testing methodologies, support and guidance on quality decisions affecting product safety, quality and consistency.
- Support Operations with guidance on impact to product in standard work practices/SOPs, new equipment purchase/installation, modifications to workcenter design, process changes, manufacturing delays and anomalies.
- Liaising with the existing AH&N technical support for the region and developing a good working relationship with Global and Regional process technologies and application teams. Leverage and share the best practices between Fermentation Technology sites.
- Drive the Continuous Improvement for the Technology process.
- Toll Manufacturing relationship – assist in the evaluation of the strategic alliances from the R&D, product development aspect for AH&N.
- Management of the Fermented Ingredients seed train to best in class standards.
Qualifications and skills
- MS, PhD or equivalent experience in microbiology, molecular biology, biochemistry, food science, biology or other related fields. Process engineering experience/knowledge is advantageous.
- 7-10 years of experience in a similar role is required.
- Strong knowledge of fermentation and the downstream processes required for product production.
- Knowledge of the quality requirements and customer expectations for ingredients sold into food and nutrition markets.
- Able to translate a concept into a workable manufacturing process.
- Must be able to work independently, without direct supervision, as well as work in a team environment.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and technical skills.