Process Governance and Portfolio Reporting Leader Supports the MD Underwriting and Portfolio Management for the Transportation Finance Line of Business by providing oversight and leadership for the following key areas of the business: process controls and governance documentation and quality assurance reviews, portfolio reporting, internal and external audit management, IT strategy for underwriting and portfolio management for current and prospective needs, and support for the training needs of underwriting and PM staff. The role is accountable to support the Managing Director, Underwriting and Portfolio Management in developing and executing the BMO Transportation Finance risk strategy ensuring compliance with LOB and Bank regulatory requirements through maintenance of procedures, job aids and control testing to ensure compliance. This requires working closely with cross functional teams in the LOB and across the enterprise. This role manages ongoing programs, new initiatives and cross-functional projects encompassing areas such as new business origination support, system enhancements, product upgrades and development, and business reporting and data governance requirements. The role conducts first line assessment and review of risk in business initiatives, provides functional expertise across bank products and the multiple risk stripes (credit, operational, market, etc.) for LOB initiatives, and manages change implementations. The role creates and implements change management strategies as required, assessing the impact of the change on Management processes and reviews and updates Policy & Processes. Process Governance and Controls and Operational Effectiveness
- Maintain current knowledge of the regulatory environment and changes across the Bank. Identify the potential impact of regulatory and environmental changes on monitoring and screening applications, processes and procedures.
- BMOTF point of contact for issues management and coordination with cross functional teams inside of TF and the broader bank
- Identify potential risk and control gaps in underwriting and portfolio management processes. Provide, in collaboration with cross-functional teams, recommendations and drive changes necessary to improve monitoring and process controls, including any required technology enhancements.
- Stay current with BMO growth initiatives, and assess their impact to BMOTF [Risk, and BMOTF’s operational readiness to implement the necessary controls. Participate in the research and evaluation of new products, services and proposed solutions.
- Provide support to underwriting, portfolio management and other BMOTF Risk functions to ensure current processes and controls are properly documented, managed and updated as required.
- Complete independent testing and monitoring of line of business process effectiveness and adherence to documented policies and procedures within BMOTF Risk. Work with teams on defining possible control gaps, tracking required remediation and cross-functional participation, where necessary.
- [Provide LOB oversight to all internal and external audits. Support cross-functional teams in pre-engagement and management throughout audit. Support any required remediation efforts through project management routines in partnership with various functional leads.
- Work with business partners across BMOTF and Technology & Operations to understand requirements and achieve alignment between the analytics, business and technical sides to improve performance and effectiveness.
- Provide support as IT liaison for BMOTF Risk initiatives. Support in planning and implementation of technology enhancements for BMOTF Risk, and deliver subject matter expertise and guidance for new initiatives and how technology can support their effective implementation.
- Review progress to plans, and develop, communicate, delegate and actively participate in the implementation of actions necessary to correct internal and external issues.
- Ensure collaboration with functional counterparts to ensure change impacts are vetted and communicate across all functional areas
- Manage team of reporting analyst focused on underwriting and portfolio management areas by providing timely reporting and analytics.
- Maintain existing reportinventory, and develop additional reports required to effectively monitor portfolio performance across the dealer, end user and asset managementrisk areas for the business. Enhance current reporting tools and techniques.
- Support data quality and governance initiatives across the business and BMO enterprise.
- Work with HQ enterprise reporting areas to simplify BMOTF’s reporting process and execution. Act as LOB liaison to modeling data teams.
- Oversee required training across all areas of risk related to changes in procedures, regulatory requirements, and new business areas.
- Develop and manage overall training plan for the business risk and portfolio managers and for the overall LOB for risk related items.
- Ensure BMOTF risk related employees are up to date on required enterprise wide required training items in conjunction with compliance and legal partners.
Knowledge and Skills
- 7-10 years of prior experience in bank governance, compliance, underwriting and portfolio management roles. Process management background.
- 5 or more years of underwriting and portfolio management experience with bank or related financial service products
- Bachelor’s degree, considerable work experience and Graduate degree or specific designations i.e. Six Sigma, PMP, etc
- In-depth technical development skill and sound knowledge of advanced technology concepts
- Excellent communication skills