At SWM, Essential isn’t just what we make. It’s what we do.
Every day, our papers, films, and nets and nonwovens are used in a diverse range of products, applications and industries around the world. As experts in highly engineered materials made from fibers, resins and polymers, we provide solutions to make products stronger, more durable and with increased performance. From accessory materials for face shields and medical devices, to protective helmets for hospital workers, law enforcement and military, to support layers for filtration and Reverse Osmosis (RO) applications for clean drinking water – and much more, we are proud to serve customers who make a world of difference in the markets they operate in and the products they improve.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The Process Engineering Manager manages a team Process Engineers and Specialists, reports to the Plant Manager. This position is responsible for developing, testing, modifying, and creating solutions to technical problems in the plant. Responsible for the development and implementation of productivity projects to reduce costs and improve business profitability.
- Lead, coach, engage, empower and motivate Process Engineering team to prioritize and deliver on site goals and objectives.
- Lead process engineering support of the scale-up of new product(s) and in the improvement of existing product(s).
- Manage process engineering projects and activities assigned to site team members, from initiation to closure, through all stages of the business process. Be accountable for assigned project deliverables, including product quality and schedule integrity.
- Manage ERP database as it relates to all Bill Of Material (BOM) labor/material standards, operating procedures, and product extension specifications.
- Proactively communicate project status, issues & risks to the project team and to various levels of site business unit and divisional management.
- Research and identify root cause on customer complaints. Work with team to develop and implement corrective action plan and implementation.
- Apply statistical thinking and methods to understand process variability and capability and drive improvements.
- Partner with operations to ensure seamless and successful achievement of daily production goals, process robustness, stability and optimization of equipment and resources.
- Partner cross functionally to diagnose production issues, optimize equipment, tooling, and layouts to meet manufacturing, company, and customer needs.
- Develop and implement procedures, work instructions and continuous improvement planning to support plant.
- Collect and summarize performance data for the purpose of identifying opportunities for improvements related to technical processes, working methods and work processes.
- Coordinates activities of department with other department leaders.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
BS Engineering, 5 to 10 years of related experience in manufacturing / project management experience focused on continuous improvement. Experience in a 24/7 continuous environment preferred.
- Must be flexible in work hours. Will be on-call for trouble-shooting and support for 24/7 manufacturing operation.
- Agent of change: Identify, initiate, execute, control, and audit
- Work with quantitative analysis and models for decision-making and problem solving
- Able to conduct research, prepare comprehensive reports and present complex statistical information in a clear and succinct fashion
- Can demonstrate process trouble-shooting ability
- Can evaluate multiple variables to arrive at the optimum solution
- Experienced with six sigma and lean manufacturing (Green or Black Belt preferred) and Project Management
- Competency in objective setting, and providing appropriate situational leadership to execute these strategies
- Statistical Analysis, Polymer Processing, Production Scale Extrusion