Process Engineer – Solids and Plastic Processing
Work Location: There will potentially be a long-term hybrid work model – partially work from home and spend some days onsite at the HQ in NY (near the NY- NJ state border – map search Nanuet NY)
Our client is ready to hire an innovative mechanically inclined Engineer with experience scaling-up processes that involve solids processing & solids handling.
What’s good about this company?
- Contribute in this environmentally friendly “green” process development effort
- All employees have a vested interest in success.
- Great diversity of work - an opportunity to grow and learn new skills while making an immediate impact and contribution to the business.
In support of a process development and process design effort, you will be a key contributor on the team responsible for decontaminating solid feedstocks and getting them into a workable form to feed the downstream reactive process.
- Solve material handling and solids processing problems through vendors (trials) and in partnership with toll manufacturers and engineering contractors.
- Scale-up from small trials through to commercialization.
- Participate in commercial plant design.
- Partner with chemical process development team as they scale-up the FCC process using the feedstocks that your team provides.
- Review your co-worker’s Pilot Plant reports (from the reactive process) for information that pertain to adjustments in solid feed properties, composition, and particle size.
- Partner with the catalyst team to understand what aspect the feedstocks may contaminate the catalyst and developed processes to” clean” or decontaminate these materials.
- Understand basic supply chain limitation and learn more about industries that supply the solids.
Application Background Requested: (Things to mention in your cover letter)
Experience scaling-up and troubleshooting solids handling equipment and reworking off-spec manufactured plastic products (recycle back into the extrusion or molding process). You are strongly encouraged to apply if you meet the education requirements plus the top 3 experience requirements below. (Sorry no sponsorship or OPT.)
- A minimum BS in Mechanical Engineering, Material Science, Chemical Engineering, Polymer Science or related. Master’s or PhD degree in engineering is preferred.
- 5 – 40 years of experience in plastics processing (extrusion, blow molding, thermoforming, etc.) There is a wide salary range to cover various skills levels.
- Scale-up of processes that involve solids handling, preferable plastics processes.
- Knowledge of solid handling equipment (i.e. grinders & crushers, screening, conveyors, solids washing, filtration etc )
- Scale up to commercialization with project engineering and design of commercial plants.
- Modeling of a solids handling processes is desirable. (g-Prom, Fluent, Python, or ASPEN plus etc.)
- Comfortable in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Experience with simple drawing software like Visio or AutoCAD.
- Experience with engineering design of plastic reworking, recycling, and waste sorting processes.
- Desirable but not required (you might want to mention this is a cover letter):
- Has spent some time in a Materials Recovery Facility (MRF)
- Experience in materials handling of various woodchips or other biomass feedstocks.
- Named on patents as a show of Innovation
- Must be authorized to work for any employer in the US without restrictions. (By definition, a common restriction is requiring sponsorship now or after your OPT expires.)
This employer respects your ability to learn and grow. They hire people rather than skills-sets.