The Process Engineer is self-sufficient contributing member within the Process Engineering organization. This individual plays a critical role in the development and refinement of manufacturing processes, material flow, and standard operating procedures. The P. E. will lead a culture of continuous improvement through the implementation of Lean-Sigma methodologies, researching leading edge processes and best practices, supporting cross-functional projects focused on achieving the highest possible levels of product quality and operational excellence.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures compliance to all Regulatory (Local, Federal), Corporate, and Plant standards.
- Develops and maintains a detailed understanding of Plug Power products and related manufacturing objectives and engineering constraints.
- Represents Plug Power in a professional manner at all times.
- Develops and improves manufacturing processes and material flow by studying product requirements; researching, designing, modifying, and testing manufacturing methods and equipment; soliciting feedback from production technicians; and conferring with equipment vendors.
- Leads the implementing of process improvement projects, Kaizen and training events using Lean-Sigma tools, including safety, ergonomics, 5S, Kanbans, statistical process control, standard work, and visual controls.
- Monitors process improvement progress and leads team problem solving projects including root cause analysis, containment, corrective, and preventative action implementation.
- Develops, maintains, and communicates manufacturing process performance metrics (KPI’s).
- Works within close coordination with production and warehouse staff to support manufacturing process and material flow needs, alleviating production constraints, improving product quality and overall process efficiency.
- Utilizes and improves business process systems (quality & test data bases, ERP system, project management software, etc.) to support continuous improvement efforts.
- Develops and maintains standard operating procedures (SOP’s).
- Coordinates with New Product Introduction and Engineering teams to improve design for manufacturability, reliability, and serviceability.
- Manages cross-functional coordination to develop and maintain a comprehensive equipment management process, in-house fixture and tooling requirements, predictive & preventative maintenance requirements to increase our overall equipment effectiveness (OEE), and fulfillment of the quality measurement system specifications.
- Supports the quality organization to ensure thorough and timely dispositions of non-conforming material in order to maintain continuity of production and containment of problems before they reach the customer.
- Contributes to team Operational Excellence efforts by accomplishing related results as needed.
Education and Experience
- BS degree in Engineering (Mechanical, Electrical, Industrial, etc.)
- Minimum of 5 years of related work experience.
- Lean Sigma green belt/black belt preferred
- Proficient with solid modeling engineering systems (CREO – preferred)
- Proficient in Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Proficient with Microsoft Office software
- Dynamic interpersonal skills and the ability to translate complex methodologies to diverse audiences and stakeholders
- Uncompromising dedication to product quality
- Demonstrated analytical abilities with strong attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple complex projects and multi-task effectively
- Proven track record of driving continuous improvement projects
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to role model high standards of professionalism
- Excellent follow-through
- Must be driven and self-motivated