Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
As a leading developer, manufacturer, and global supplier of scientific laboratory products for 100 years, Corning’s Life Sciences segment collaborates with researchers seeking new approaches to increase efficiencies, reduce costs and compress timelines in the drug discovery process. Using unique expertise in the fields of materials science, surface science, optics, biochemistry and biology, the segment provides innovative solutions that improve productivity and enable breakthrough discoveries.
Scope of Position:
In this role, you will provide injection molding processing engineering support for Division-wide or multi-plant projects, with a primary focus on our Reynosa Mexico facility. We look for you to maintain knowledge and identify opportunities for the new manufacturing technology to support our mission of the highest quality and lowest manufacturing cost. You will be required to maintain and advance our injection molding core capability and fundamental understanding at world-class levels. Ensure Corning's Intellectual Property management process is followed, and any intellectual property developed as part of a project is properly documented.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Develops injection molding processes using scientific molding fundamentals.
- Executes validations for new injection molding equipment, product quality improvements, and cycle time reductions.
- Recognized as a subject matter expert within the injection molding field and is sought out to provide guidance on opportunities and technical issues throughout the CLS.
- Objectively assess the business, product and process need to provide input into division-wide strategies and portfolios in the areas of injection molding and other plastic part manufacturing processes that deliver engineering and innovation solutions to meet the business needs.
- Provide input and assist in the development and implementation of global core capabilities, strategies and technology roadmaps within plastics engineering. This effort will also include developing and maintaining internal and external networks for these different technologies while understanding “State of the Art” both in academia and industry. Drives implementation of new manufacturing technology.
- Develops injection molding solutions for new product introductions and provides support to automation and equipment teams and vendors during the development of automation systems.
- Provides process engineering support to manufacturing plants as needed, including complete equipment life cycle management and replacement programs.
- Ensure Corning's Intellectual Property management process is followed, and any intellectual property developed as part of a project is properly documented.
- Ensure that processes are being used rigorously: Innovation, Process Excellence, Project Management, Safety/Environmental, etc.
- Drive for Standardization and best practices.
- Up to 20 - 40%, mostly domestic including some International travel; generally, 1 week a month.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
- Standard business hours; Monday – Friday.
Required Education & Years and Area of Experience:
- Bachelor of Science in Plastics Engineering or equivalent program and minimum of 5+ years in an injection molding process development and debug using scientific injection molding principles.
- Will consider a High School diploma with a completed Tooling Apprenticeship program and a minimum of 10+ years in an injection molding process development and debug using scientific injection molding principles.
- Experience in both early and late-stage innovation projects.
- Experience with multiple plastics manufacturing processes and multiple functional groups.
- Consult and advise on projects.
- Coaching and mentoring of others within the area of expertise.
- Progressive responsibilities within engineering.
- Track record of engineering accomplishments. (e.g. experience leading teams in delivering capital projects to manufacturing, meeting continuous improvement goals, making step-change process improvements, and expanding technical capability).
Desired Experience / Qualifications / Skills:
- Knowledge of Life Sciences products and technologies.
- Prior experience in a plant or division engineering group.
- Performance Excellence training – green belt or higher certification.
- Project Management training.
- Preference for Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) or comfortable working in Mexican manufacturing environment.
- Foster Innovation and Risk Taking.
- Ability to acquire and retain new information.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal).
- Ability to effectively communicate at all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrate strong work ethic.
- Display exemplary personal behavior, act with integrity and authenticity.
- Respect all levels of the organization.
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.