The Process Engineer III will implement World Class Manufacturing (WCM) projects, production and processing methods and controls to meet customer based quality standards in a manner consistent with CertainTeed Gypsum Vision, Mission, Values and Objectives (VMVO). Utilizing WCM principles, this position will focus on product formulation, process development and optimization, equipment design and optimization, general project engineering, and trial planning and execution. The Process Engineer III will also support the plant and company strategic initiatives including capital projects that involve process improvements, sustainability and new product development. Through the application of process engineering fundamentals and advances process control tools, this position will ensure that processes are centered, capable and in control; reduce process variations; and resolve special causes variation.
- Reports directly to the Quality Manager.
- Analyzes process variations; develops solutions and implements corrective actions by using advanced statistical tools in identifying and resolving the root causes of the variations in the process, and participates in resolving critical process and product problems with customers and vendors.
- Responsibilities include the designing / developing new process systems, revising existing processes, and developing and coordinating the implementation of projects, which contribute substantially to plant profitability.
- As primary project leader, provides technical direction to designers, contractors and employees of associated projects.
- Interacts with Team for operational trouble-shooting, process improvement projects, production materials requirement, raw material availability and Quality Step Zero requirements.
- Compiles technical data and other background information to determine equipment performance specifications and established baselines. Interprets and extrapolates accumulated data to prepare diagrams and flow charts for the efficient operation of the equipment.
- Participate and/or may lead the WCM Pillar for Early Equipment Management (EEM) and be an advisor for Focused Improvement and Professional Maintenance teams.
- Assists with preparing programs for computer control systems.
- Interacts with consultants and suppliers to determine compatibility of other systems and products as they may apply to process improvement.
- Implements recommended process efficiency improvement projects.
- Ensure CertainTeed Gypsum’s standards of safety, quality and reliability are built into process and equipment solutions utilizing WCM principles.
- Works with project teams during delivery phase and commissioning of equipment.
- Develops and encourage innovative processes and equipment concepts along with follow through to Return on Investments (ROI) patents and / or proprietary intellectual property.
- Identifies safety, cost and quality opportunities and develops solutions for corrective actions.
- Analyzes operating problems, develops solutions, and leads the implementation of corrective actions.
- Organizes and initiates run trials to evaluate equipment, process and raw material opportunities.
- Support Manufacturing Business Plan opportunities.
- Provides professional training on the manufacturing process to internal employees.
- Complies with environmental standards, assures good housekeeping practices following 5S systems, enforces plant rules and safety regulations, and supports VMVO and WCM initiatives.
- Continuously evaluates workplace for safety concerns and ensures behavioral safety initiatives are performed to goal levels.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as needed and / or requested by management.
- May consult with and/or assist other CertainTeed Gypsum North American plants on issues.
- Bachelor’s Degree in chemical engineering or similar discipline or equivalent experience.
- Five to ten (5-10) years of applied professional process experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Two to three (2-3) years of experience in project management and project engineering fundamentals.
- Previous experience with product formulation, water and foam chemistries, mass & energy balance, flow diagrams, Process & Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID), fluid properties and thermodynamics.
- Working knowledge of advanced statistical tools used to reduce variations.
- Flexible, open-minded team player with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem solving capabilities to work effectively in corporate, manufacturing and team environments.
- Ability to provide leadership and innovation at all levels of the organization.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
PREFERRED OR DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience in gypsum chemistry and manufacturing process.
- Experience leading focused improvement (FI) or Kaizen projects.
- Previous AutoCAD experience.
- Responsible for capital project budget from planning to execution.
- Prepares capital expenditures and provides technical and budgetary input for the purpose of planning and scheduling projects.
Works in a manufacturing plant environment with limited HVAC, concrete floors, and exposure to industrial noise, dust, chemicals and temperature changes. Normal plant operation is 24 hours, 7 days a week and work hours may vary depending on business needs. May require long hours, and weekend and holiday work. May require travel by air and rental cars.
Reference : 566827