This position is responsible for understanding the adhesive and film manufacturing processes and their optimization with the goal of improving product quality, reducing costs and waste while enhancing customer satisfaction. The engineer is required to be knowledgeable in problem solving techniques, equipment selection, modifying processes or equipment, troubleshooting, batch processing and control systems.
- Supports Quality initiatives, including but not limited to: Resolution of customer incidents (internal & external); Manufacturing support; QOS support
- Is well versed in chemical product technologies on processing & equipment
- Leads effort to clarify manufacturing instructions to ensure repeatable operations
- Sets up manufacturing processes with input from PD&E, maintenance, production, etc.
- Provides support for miscellaneous customer requests
- Monitors and improves quality of incoming raw materials and acts as technical interface with suppliers and other concerned parties.
- Performs engineering studies, i.e., design of experiments (DOE)
- Provides process troubleshooting and optimization through design of experiments (DOE)
- Coordinates repairs and modifications on existing equipment, tools and procedures
- Specifies, procures, and commissions new equipment
- Ensures quality, cost, and efficiency requirements are met
- Performs process audits and develops manufacturing instructions & procedures
- Provides full support on safety initiatives
- Reduces costs associated with the manufacturing of products
- Ensures manufacturing repeatability of products scaled up from PD&E to production
- Maintains a direct relationship with customers (internal & external), vendors, contractors, customer service, production control, production, PD&E and regulatory agencies
- Able to effectively analyze data for root cause analysis
- Verification of process changes
- Bachelor of Science degree in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering, Material / Polymer Science Engineering, or Polymer Chemistry
- More than 4 years' experience in chemical manufacturing industry
- Competent in Project Management, possessing the ability of planning, starting a project and seeing it through to completion
- Well versed in Manufacturing Process and Product Quality Improvement Projects
- Familiar with FMEA, Control plan, and PPAP (Production Part Approval Process)
- Uses basic statistical tools (SPC, Trend charts, DOE, Anova, etc.)
- Familiarity with structured problem solving, writing 4D/8D reports, etc., highly desired
- Certification in Six Sigma Green Belt / Black Belt is a big plus.
- Frequently sit, view a computer screen, and type on a keyboard for extended periods of times
- Verbally communicate one-on-one and in front of groups
- Ability to walk up and down several flights of stairs
- Occasionally may be required to reach, squat, bend and lift to 25 lbs
- Ability to work in a chemical lab with manufacturing environment